Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Father's Day Weekend

On Saturday, June 16, we took the kids to the main campus of LCBC for church since we had plans the following day for Father's Day. It felt like a date! In fact, so much so that Shawn texted our babysitter upon leaving to see if she was available to watch the boys that night so we could go out to dinner afterward. Surprisingly, she didn't have plans and agreed to come over. We had a coupon to use at Roseville, right down the street from us. While I didn't have anything to drink, their sign about expired licenses not being accepted reminded me that I needed to go get my new picture taken - doh! I took care of that the following week. :) :) :) Anyway, we had a great time in the absolutely GORGEOUS weather sitting outside and dreaming. We talked about what kind of business we might be able to start if we were to go and leave in a beach town. It's fun to dream together!
Father's Day morning then, at Shawn's request, we woke up and took the day slow. :) When I asked him what he'd like for Father's Day, his answer was individual time with his kids. Gifts isn't his love language (thank God since I'm terrible at them!) but Quality Time is. I had gotten him a gift certificate to the Red Caboose restaurant to take Joshua (since he agreed that it sounded cool with our oldest boy) and I gave him time to spend with each boy. He took Joshua that morning to Barnes & Nobles. They enjoyed reading together and getting a special treat.
That afternoon while the kids napped, Shawn & I went to the Parade of Homes to look at expensive places in Manheim Township. We saw some of our neighbors, who joked with us, asking if we were leaving them and our neighborhood. For one, we couldn't even afford the taxes on these houses, let alone the actual mortgage. But two, I wasn't really that impressed this year by any of them. The one I liked from the outside was absolutely bizarre on the inside (like the people couldn't decide if they wanted a cabin, a home or a beach house so they mixed the decor and structures of all three). It didn't even have a bathroom on the entertaining level. Strange, at best! The house we liked most that day we discovered wasn't even part of the parade but was simply an open house on the same street that we wandered into. We were impressed by the heated floors in the master bathroom (sometimes it's the little things). Either way, it actually made me more content with our house. As Larry David put it in one of his comedies, he gets it - all homes have some bedrooms and baths and kitchens. So, we owe on our house less than a quarter of what they want for some of these other homes that we'd want to change anyway. Sounds like a steal to me!
Later that evening, Shawn had been planning on taking Caleb to the driving range to golf. But, he figured on Father's Day it might be packed. So, instead, they went out for ice cream at "King Burger" and then ran some errands together since Caleb loves to shop with Daddy. I loved his crown and how proudly he wore it when he got back. Finally it was Ryan's turn. I gave Daddy some time to roll the ball back and forth with our littlest man, which is his favorite activity. :) :) :) I love how Shawn makes each son feel special. I am SO impressed by how amazing his parenting skills are. He outshines me in almost every way when it comes to being a parent. I am so grateful that we got married and had kids together; I knew I liked him as a husband, but I had no idea what to expect when it came to him being a father. And, I am blown away and greatly blessed! I couldn't put into words what he means to me and our boys. :)
I called my Dad that morning, but he was leaving for Georgia so I didn't get to see him. Shawn didn't get to see his Dad either even though they talked. But, we're looking forward to seeing him in July and have his gift waiting here for him. :) :) :) Happy Father's Day to everyone celebrating!

No comments: