Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy 44-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

Don't those big blue eyes and long lashes like his Daddy just say it all? His rosy cheeks are from after our time at Universal on his 44-month birthday on Thursday, March 8. I think he is the cutest little thing. Our favorite is his few little freckles on those cheeks. Adorable!
One thing I noticed this month, which Shawn & I were just talking about, is how well Caleb is playing the Wii with Joshua. At first he was just playing along, but he was the first person to learn about pushing the "A" button to keep yourself in a big bubble (which keeps you safe at hard parts). Now, though, he doesn't push that button as often and is actually intentional about where he's going and how he's playing. He is SO sharp for his age!!! At one point, whereas normally Caleb's little Louigi is one of the first to die, Caleb was the only one alive as Shawn & Joshua were telling him to stay there until they got back in the game. He's doing GREAT! And he seems to really enjoy it as well. I know that playing these games takes some critical thinking as well as hand-eye coordination, so spending some time with them is okay, I think.
This is how Caleb decided to sit in the baby room chair. He is often a silly goose! Caleb still loves to go for walks, where we will talk about what we're going to look for (in the fall, it's pumpkins, squirrels and leaves; in the spring we look for new flowers, bunnies and buds on trees; in the summer we look for puppies also walking, etc). We have been able to walk so much this winter with how lovely the weather has been. I seriously only remember scraping ice off my windshield a couple times. Wow! It's been GREAT! Anyway, Caleb & Joshua take turns walking and riding, and I noticed that I no longer worry about Caleb running ahead. He stops at all the markings we've done on every walk and is extremely obedient to wait and listen. I see HUGE growth in this area from last year to now.
Caleb also loves to help in the kitchen. He's the first one to grab his stool when I say "wanna help me cook dinner?" He loves doing crafts and playing puzzle books together. He is so good at those things, too! He helps find words in the word puzzles, draw pictures when they ask, put stickers where they are missing, and discover mixed-up mazes. I would still say his favorites, though, are the look-and-finds. :) He also writes SO well. I'm still working with him on holding his pencil correctly, but his writing is extremely legible. Yesterday on the driveway he wrote "I love Daddy" and then "I love Mom" and then "I love Joshua" and signed his name to each message. So sweet!
Caleb rides his bike well, too, which he was just learning last summer. He also can snap or button his jeans (something big brother still struggles with on occasion). He also thinks he's an adult as he loves to tell Ryan "No, Schnook, you can't play with that!" We are surprised at the little bossy man coming out in him. I realize this is the first he's been the oldest. So, we just remind him to be patient and loving with his baby brother. And typically he is.

He loves to cuddle up with us still. Shawn thinks he's the best little snuggler. The other day he was sitting on my lap and he read me one of Joshua's easy reader books. Now, I think he had most of it memorized, but it still made us all smile (we were in the office together) as we heard Caleb's little voice reading the book out loud. He enjoys stories and whereas he doesn't always 'have time' to be sitting still and cuddling, he often won't miss the opportunity these days as he's sharing cuddle time with two other brothers. :)

Caleb seems to be enjoying preschool more these days, and he's looking forward to it next year. I asked him if he wanted to go 2- or 3-days a week and he said "three" but at this point we just have him signed up for two. He's going to miss his big brother being gone all five weekday mornings at school!

Caleb is growing SO big SO fast! I can barely believe how big and strong he looks! He's so athletic it's impressive. I could write so much more - how his favorite foods are plain noodles, blueberries, 'big apples' and cheese sticks; how he loves to take baths and play with his Leapster; how much he makes us smile and laugh everyday. But, this is good for now.

Happy 44-month birthday, my little Caleb Luke! We love you!

No comments: