Friday, January 7, 2011

The Last Day of Winter Break

Monday, January 3, was Joshua's last day off of preschool for the winter break. Since Daddy didn't get a day off for New Year's Eve or New Year's Day (because it landed on a Saturday), he also had some time on Monday to spend with us. We went to the mall to make a return, and we took the boys downstairs to eat lunch and play at the playground. They had a blast! I love when they get to run and burn off energy in the winter. It was a fun day together.

I must share a story about how 'old' my beloved Joshua is getting. As we were all sitting at the little table and the boys were enjoying their chicken nuggets, he got up and said "I'll be back in a minute." Um... excuse me? I said "Where are you going?" He replied "I have to go potty." He was fully intending on going by himself! While he goes on his own at home, there was no way I'd let him go to the mall bathrooms alone. So, I explained that he'd have to go with one of us. I'm so glad that the mall has family bathrooms, too. I dread the thought of him going to the men's room without me some day!

Another 'grown up' moment this week: I asked Joshua why his teacher wanted him to bring in gloves or mittens to class one day. The explanation we as parents got was "have your student bring them to class; they will be returned to you at the end of the day." I didn't know if she had explained to the kiddos what they were doing, so I asked the Bean. His response? In a very matter of fact voice, he looked at me and said "I don't know - we'll see!" The way he said "we'll see" sounded SO adult that I giggled. He is getting bigger by the day!

But there are also times that I'm reminded of just how little he is. We called Daddy's cell phone one night, expecting that he would be on his way home. Instead, he was still busy at work. I had our phone on speaker, and Joshua said "Daddy, it's dark now, so it's time for you to please come home. We're missing you!" The way he said it in his little voice made my heart melt. I'm sure Shawn felt the same way. He promised to leave ASAP and come home to us. :)

No comments: