Monday, January 24, 2011

2.5 Year Portraits

Monday, January 10, was a good day for me overall. I had postponed Caleb's 2.5 year portraits three different times due to him being sniffly, schnarky or downright sick. I didn't want to cancel again, but I knew from Joshua's condition that he really needed to be seen by the pediatrician. I called at 8 am, and the receptionist told me that they had an appointment at 11:10 with Dr. Reilly. I was thrilled to get her because her specialty is asthma/breathing. So, I took it, knowing my appointment with Caleb was at 10 am and I've never been in and out within an hour. But, I also knew there was no reason I couldn't be - after all, they say they leave 10 minutes to take the pictures, and what takes the most time is all the stuff they do afterward with the pictures to try and get you to buy more, which I already know I won't do.
Grandma called as we were finishing up breakfast to see how the Bean was doing. She offered to come sit with him while I took Caleb in to JCPenney's to get his pictures taken. It worked out fantastically - thanks, Mom! Caleb & I got to the mall a couple minutes before they opened the doors, and one of my favorite three photographers greeted us. I gave them my coupon and explained to the guy that I needed to be out of there within 45 minutes to get my other son to the doctor's. His response was 'No problem! I'll take you right back.' I have never seen so many people working at one time! But, Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and with all the kids off school, they were ready for a busy day ahead. I was so thankful I got a 10 am appointment (their first one of the day).
Brian took us right back as he promised and positioned me where Caleb could see my expression and still be looking at the camera. Then he pretended to tickle me with a teddy bear, and I would crack up, causing Caleb to give a genuine smile. Caleb would only giggle for a moment before looking around, but this guy is one of my favorites because he snaps the picture quickly and captures the expression. I thought all the pictures were great! Then he had another woman check us out, and she didn't fool around with the digital photos before letting me see them. She made a couple collages and I told her that I was just going to use my coupon so she didn't have to bother. I made my selections quickly, and I checked out, using a gift card I had from a long while back. My total came to $1.50 after the coupon and gift card, and Caleb & I were back in the minivan by 10:15 am. Woohoo! It was an official record!
I got back home, gave the boys a quick snack and we headed to the pediatrician's office while Mamaw headed back home. Once again, they took us right back. I literally didn't even have our jackets hung up when they called us into the room. The first thing they did was take Joshua's pulse oxygen level, and it was good (praise God!). The doctor came in not long thereafter (we played the 'name the animals that begin with the letters of the alphabet' game before she got there), and she listened to Joshua's breathing. While she said he was moving air, she did hear his wheezing. She doubled his one type of breathing treatment and told us to do the 'rescue' variety every four hours for the next two weeks. She noted that she would typically want him to come back to be re-checked, but she knew that we as parents knew what to look for. She also told me that if we ever need to give back-to-back treatments, they should know about it, any hour of the night.
After the appointment was over, I called Daddy and asked if he'd like company for lunch. Much to my surprise, he said sure! So, we all went to pick him up from his work and had a quick drive-through lunch while I told him about our morning. It was nice to see him during the day. :) Joshua napped when we got home (Caleb refused and I didn't want him to keep a sick, exhausted Joshua awake so I let him play).
When Shawn came home that night, we had salads and homemade soup for dinner. Caleb told Daddy he couldn't wear that shirt - those were his jammy pants! We cracked up! Indeed, Shawn's patterned dress shirt did in fact resemble the colors and pattern of his pajama pants. That Caleb Luke is a silly boy!
Monday night into Tuesday morning, we got an inch or so of snow followed by freezing rain. I could hear the ice as Daddy shoveled the driveway. All the local schools were canceled, including the Bean's preschool and my Bible study. While I would have enjoyed a morning out, I was debating on whether or not Joshua should go to school (the pediatrician assured me that without a fever he wasn't contagious - his issue was asthma), and I was thankful for God providing the answer for us. Daddy went into work a little late to give the road crews time to clear the roads and to allow the temperature to warm up. I was glad he did - it's not worth risking your life or cracking up your car if you don't have to. Last night for dinner I made my messy meatballs with macaroni & cheese, peas and cheddar biscuits (similar to Red Lobster's). It turned out well. When it's cold, it makes you want to cook more!
Wednesday morning when we woke up, Joshua felt warm to me. I gave him his breathing treatment and then took his temperature. The thermometer said 100 degrees, but it typically reads 97 for the Bean, so I knew his body temp was at least slightly elevated. Once again, it was enough of a sign to me to keep him home. I was glad I did. While he played the morning away, he had another attack just after lunch (and soon after a breathing treatment!). It was scary, and I was glad we were both home. I was supposed to go shopping with my Mom while my Dad watched the boys. But, Joshua started coughing and wheezing and pretty soon he was vomiting from the forceful coughing but still couldn't catch his breath. I gave him another treatment and while he still sounded wheezy, his breathing was at a more normal pace again and he calmed down. Once again, while he didn't make sense when he was struggling to breathe, he could talk and understand what was going on around him. I sent Dad home and told Mom I couldn't go after all. I wanted to make sure he did okay. I also left a message for the pediatrician, just in case I should do anything else. She returned my call and told me that she wanted to see him Friday, and she got us in at noon, when I think she's typically on her lunch break, which I thought was really nice (since the rest of her schedule was full that day). Joshua was fine the rest of the day, praise God!
Thursday morning, Caleb told me his ear hurt, and he kept telling me it was the right one. But, his cold seemed better for the first time in over a week. I wasn't sure if he had slept on it strangely, but soon his whining turned into bawling and almost screaming. I called the pediatrician, who gave me an appointment for three hours later (their first available). A nurse called me back, which surprised me since I had only talked to a scheduler. She told me to give him motrin or tylenol and a warm compress over the aching ear. Caleb calmed down as I snuggled him in my arms for the next couple hours, also doing the suggestions from the nurse. By the time we went to the pediatrician, he seemed better. But, I wasn't going to risk it! Grandma came to stay with the Bean, who was still sick, so he didn't have to come out in the cold. Sure enough, Dr. Krack diagnosed Caleb's right ear with a minor ear infection and gave us an antibiotic that he said would also wipe out any remnants of the cold if it had turned into a sinus infection. We spent a loooong time trying to drop off the prescription (since the computers at the doctor's office were down), and an even longer time picking it up. I'm guessing almost everyone in Lancaster County is sick!
By Thursday night,  I was feeling a little stir crazy, so I suggested that we warm up the mini van and all go to the drive through to get Caleb's prescription filled to spend time together as a family. Both kids fell asleep upon leaving the house (neither had napped that afternoon) - I think the sitting up (and strapped in upright) made it easier for them to breath and their throats feel better than laying down. We drove around for a little while then to give them time to rest, grabbing Starbucks on our way back through. When we got home, Joshua had another major attack. Once again, he was disoriented. In fact, he begged us to stay in the van (and normally he wants to be first one to the door to prove that he's the fastest!). He was completely out of it and breathing quickly. We rushed him inside and gave him another breathing treatment. Thankfully, he recovered and calmed down. Both boys slept well that night, but I woke up throughout the night worried about the Bean and checking on him.
Friday morning, both boys woke up with more color and more energy. We had more snow overnight; while they had called for half a foot and we only got another inch or two. Thankfully Daddy shoveled the driveway before going to work and cleared off my ride as well as his. I went to the noon doctor's appointment, and while Joshua's pulse-ox level (or the amount of oxygen in his blood) was lower, he sounded much better. The pediatrician told us to continue with the rescue breathing treatments until his cough was completely gone (which I would say it is now) and continue giving him the treatments to beef up his lungs twice a day through February. It was a good report overall! Once again, we met Daddy for lunch - only the boys fell asleep on the way there and slept through the entire time we were with him. Joshua slept until 4 pm, and I think he was catching up on some much-needed rest. When he woke up, he asked if we were still going to meet Daddy for lunch. I responded that instead we would see him for dinner once it got dark and he came home. Both boys seemed back to themselves, more or less. And I was thankful to God for keeping them safe during this season!
In other news, on morning after doing my typical Bible reading, I asked the boys if they'd like to hear a story. So, I told them how Pharaoh wouldn't let the Israelites go and worship God, so God brought plagues upon them like FROGS (ribbit-ribbit) and three days of darkness and locusts, etc. Eventually he brought the plague of the firstborn, and Pharaoh let them go...but then changed his mind and pursued God's people. Then Moses raised his staff and God parted the waters so the Israelites could walk across, like at the beach, but he put the waters back when the Egyptians went through. Joshua listened intently, and asked me to tell it over and over and over again. Then he took a turn telling it. It wasn't exactly right, but he got the gist of it. He loves stories, and I think of how many opportunities I miss telling them about Bible stories.
We've been struggling to get Caleb to go to bed this past week. I think he's discovered that if he's cute enough, Daddy will tuck him in just one last time. He's using every trick in the book... I need more water, I need a fresh diaper (and he's been waiting to do his business at night in the diaper rather than his big boy undies that he wears during the day), I want a story, I'm not tired, etc. Tuesday night Daddy took a trip to Walmart, and Caleb would not lay down. Joshua said over and over again how tired he was but Caleb kept teasing him. Then I heard the tears - not sure what the Bean did to his little brother, but Caleb was not happy. He came out to me and said "rockabye me!" Who can resist that? So, I scooped him up and sang him a couple songs, only to hear more tears. "Caleb's not in his bed," cried Joshua. While he didn't want his little brother pouncing on him in his bed, he's now used to going to sleep with his younger counterpart. I offered to snuggle and rock him, too, and he agreed to one song before telling me again how tired he was. In the meantime, Daddy came home, and we put the boys to bed once again. I'm hoping Caleb gets done with this phase soon! But, I do love to rock my kiddos.
Caleb has also been waking us up in the morning saying "I'm happy to see you!" I tell you, it's the best way to wake up. Joshua usually wakes up first, and he immediately wakes up his little brother who comes and pounces on us. But, Shawn & I both agree it's better than waking up to alarm clocks (other than the fact that we could be sleeping in a little bit longer before having to get up).
I'm trying to think of anything else that's been going on. Lately the boys have been really into playing with Caleb's tool set he got for Christmas. Joshua tells us he's building us a house. They also are drawing all sorts of pictures on their Doodle Pros. The only sad thing about that is that those pictures get erased immediately to make new ones. Joshua will draw ones of his family, a helicopter, and a house. Caleb says he's writing his name, but it doesn't quite look like it yet.
Right now the boys' favorite thing to watch is the Veggie Tales movie on forgiveness. They love the "Grapes of Wrath" and then the one with Bob & Larry and the bamboo and coconut (Joshua thinks the word coconut is the funniest thing ever!). But, I can tell beyond the silliness that much of the movie is sinking in as they say sorry and forgive one another. I also think it's funny to listen to them laughing at the same parts when they watch the movie. They also started watching the one on King George with the duckies (based on the story of David with Bathsheba). The King (Larry the Cucumber) tries to take the other guy's ducky for a bath when he already has plenty of duckies. This story teaches the importance of sharing and not taking. The boys are enjoying TV time, and while I'm not normally a fan, when they've been sick and want to cuddle up and watch something that's teaching them good values, I can't really complain.
By Saturday, both boys were back to normal, I'd say. I'll post more about this past weekend another time. But, I would venture to say that Lord willing, Joshua will be back to preschool this week (he missed the entire week last week) and Caleb & I will be going to Bible study tomorrow morning. Praise God!

No comments: