Friday, January 7, 2011

2.5 Year Caleb Well-Check

On Wednesday, January 5, Caleb & I dropped Joshua off at preschool and then headed straight to the pediatrician's office for his 2.5 year well-check-up. We arrived early and went into the well child room. I explained to Caleb that the other room where most of the toys are is for kids who are really sick, and we want him to stay healthy. When other kids came in, he said a prayer for them, ending with "in Jesus' name, AMEN!" I thought it was so sweet. He so wanted to play with the other kids - here he is making a friend through the glass!
It took awhile for them to call us back, but eventually it was our turn to go see Dr. Tifft. First, they had him take off his shoes and step onto the scale. Afterward, they had him stand against the wall to measure his height. Even differences in how they take measurements remind me of how big my little 'Bluke is getting! Here are his stats:

Weight: 31 lbs (64.96%)
Height: 37" (72.7%)

So, my little guy is over three feet tall, and according to the doctor his BMI is 38%, which is good. Dr. Tifft said he's growing normally and looks healthy. Before he came in, the nurse was there taking his measurements and asking us the normal routine questions. As I heard how tall he was, I said "where did my baby go?" to which Caleb replied loudly "It's in your belly!" The nurse laughed, and I smiled. I said "why, yes, but I meant my baby Caleb... he's getting to be such a big boy!" Caleb smiled back. He loves to be a big boy!

After the nurse left when we were in the room all by ourselves, Caleb looked at me and then pointed to the instruments on the wall and said "I don't want them in my ears!" I knew that they would check his ears, but I just started playing another game with him. Dr. Tifft came in shortly thereafter and asked me all sorts of questions. He seemed legitimately surprised that Caleb knew his entire alphabet and their sounds already, as well as his numbers. I explained that we have an older son, too, and the doctor reminded me that while older brother may help, truly it has to be Caleb's capacity to learn the information. He noted how intelligent our little guy is. :)

He also asked me if he's developed a hand preference, and I replied that he typically uses his right. Dr. Tifft said that most children show their preference by age 3, so that makes me think that Caleb's a righty and Joshua is most definitely a lefty. (Daddy prayed for a left-handed pitcher, so we'll see!) Dr. Tifft also asked us how potty training was going, and I said we were just starting to have major success in that area (he's been keeping dry other than nap times and overnight - or when we put a diaper or pull-up on him to go out - but those are times that he chooses to do his official business, too.) Dr. Tifft said that the average age for a boy is 3.5 years, so it's fine to start working on it if Caleb shows interest and it's fine to wait if he loses interest. I'm hoping we'll just keep the momentum going!

Dr. Tifft noted that Caleb rubbed his cheek and it turned red and scratchy. He gave that condition a name (which I promptly forgot and much to my dismay is not written on my paperwork). He asked if Caleb had any allergies, and I responded that there are none to the best of my knowledge. The doctor said that sometimes skin like this is a sign of allergies, but it doesn't have to be. If we see any changes, we can contact the office. Otherwise, it's nothing to be concerned about. In fact, he said that Caleb is a healthy little guy who is growing nicely.

He asked me about his temperament and then he started his evaluation of my Bluke, telling him to sit on my lap rather than making him get onto the table. Caleb climbed up onto me and put both his hands over his ears. Dr. Tifft chuckled and said "I'm taking it that you don't want me to look into your ears today." He listened to his heart and breathing, checked his eyes, checked under his pull-up (when Caleb's hands left his ears!), and then told my little one that he had to look in his ears. He explained to Caleb that if he didn't move, it wouldn't hurt at all. The more still he could be, the easier it would be to see, and there would be no pain involved. So, Caleb cooperated and I asked him afterward if it hurt, and he said no.

Then Dr. Tifft let Caleb pick out a sticker and told him to get one for his brother, too, which I thought was sweet. Caleb picked one for himself that said "SUPER!" and another one that said "OH YEAH!" I told him what both of them said, and he kept them apart, knowing which was which when it came time to give one to his big brother. Joshua was thankful for his sticker and gave Caleb a big hug for getting it for him. It was a good check-up!

No comments: