Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Snowman Snack

On Monday, December 7, it was Joshua's turn to take in snack for preschool. Last time I had taken those "Chew On Your Pencil" cheese sticks, so I looked up ideas in my Family Fun Magazine and saw these little snowmen on a stick that I thought would be perfect!


Three slices of banana are pushed onto a bamboo skewer, followed by half an apple slice (we bought pre-cut apples) and  then a grape for the top of the hat. The buttons and eyes are made out of mini-chocolate chips and we used carrot sticks of the salad bar for the nose. I didn't attach the pretzel stick arms until we got to preschool. So here was the finished product (minus the pretzels for easier carrying).


The teacher's aide remembered my last snack and said about how creative I was (not really - these magazines make it easy!!!). The teacher said some kids loved them (the teacher's aide said they were tasty) while some kids weren't quite sure how to attack them. They were cute, I thought.
 
I'll never be Martha Stewart, but I hope Joshua enjoys the times that his family is involved with his school. Both Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Hilton (his teacher and aide) have had their gall bladders surgically removed, and they told me the ins and outs of it. The teacher's aide is especially skinny and neither one of them are all that old, so I felt better. They both had it worse than I did, it sounds, so I'm thankful that I'm getting mine taken care of before complications can happen. In fact, I had gotten into the surgeon late the last week when I just couldn't take it anymore, and he scheduled the surgery for Wednesday, November 9. He told me that gall stones can, in fact, kill you if you don't get the gall bladder removed and told me that pregnancy was responsible for the formation of them. I didn't realize any of that - and I know far more than I ever wanted to know on how the whole process works! He saw I was a professor and went into great detailed explanation of how things work for my benefit. It was interesting, but I'm just glad to have it be over with. I hate the thought of being 'down and out' for the holiday season. :( :( :(

Anyway, Joshua liked his snack! He especially liked the pretzels. And who doesn't like snowmen??? That evening I had class and did a mini-review session in my office for final exams that many students showed up for (more than I was expecting). Next week is finals week and I'm done for the semester. Yeah!

No comments: