Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Preschool Party: Happy Birthday, Jesus!


On Wednesday, December 16, Joshua's preschool class had a birthday party for Jesus. It was their last class before the holiday break, and I didn't want him to miss it. I dressed him in his special Christmas train shirt I had bought him. And, the night before we drove all over God's green earth (or it felt like it) to look for a gift for his teachers. I had seen a cute set of hand sanitizer and soap that had a snowman and bow on them at AC Moore and thought that's the perfect gift for a teacher. But, I didn't get it then and should have, evidently, because they were sold out. We went to Walmart and Michaels and finally got the teachers Christmas mugs with hot cocoa and ornaments wrapped in festive wrap with bows. I wasn't thrilled... I assume that teachers get these gifts from everyone, but I also wasn't feeling well and was done with trying at that point.
 
We had signed up to take chocolate milk in for the party (there was a list with items the teacher wanted and you put your name next to one that you were willing to bring in to the class). I didn't sign up for anything I had to physically make, thankfully. Grandma came bright and early to get the Bean, the gifts and the party milk and take them to school. [Thanks, Mom!] Other parents took in things like festive party 'dishes,' and things to make cookies with icing, fruit, etc. I wasn't able to go (of course) but a mom posted the pictures on Shutterfly for the other moms to see.
 
Here is the child that bullies my son. Almost every day, Joshua comes home from preschool and tells me that Ethan "bonked" him on the head or pushed him. The thing is, though, that they LOVE to play together. Mrs. Ford talked to me about it (when I asked her why Joshua keeps telling me he's getting beat on) and said that they are working with Ethan. He's high energy, extremely smart, and they are trying to keep him busy (since he finishes quicker than the other children) so that he doesn't have time to do other things with his hands. They think, and I agree, that Ethan is doing this because he likes Joshua so much and is trying to get his attention. The two boys do get along and play together. But, we've told Joshua to tell Ethan "No, thank you, I don't like that" when he hits him or pushes him and then if necessary to move away. I also said that it's important to forgive him and that we don't hit or push back. When we discipline Joshua now, he also tells us that he doesn't like it and "no thanks." It makes me smile as much as it makes my brain hurt to think of how to explain that we as adults need to teach Joshua discipline. My little man is sharp as a whip!

Here is Liam with his cute expression, but I really chose this picture because Joshua is in the background. My sister picked him up from preschool (thanks, Jen!) while she was getting Emma from her class. Jen told me when she got here that Joshua told her all about his day. She chuckled that her kids never talk as much as he did... I think that's because she asked him and she's his aunt vs. momma. He rode bicycles in the gym (and they don't need helmets inside, he added) and they had a party and he ate cookies and got candy canes from Mrs. Hilton and got a present from Mrs. Ford and made crafts and sang Happy Birthday to Jesus. Jen handed me a bag and told me that the teachers said this was a gift from Joshua to us and that there were other things in his back-pack. I opened the present, which had a card attached to it that he colored, and I promptly cracked up! Look at what he gave us...

I LOVE it!!! I put my 'angel' right on my Christmas tree in the front where everyone can see it, and I also hung the hand print ornaments that he made on there as well. And, he told me that the candy cane looks like a J for Jesus and we hung the one from Mrs. Hilton on the tree. That night as he was praying, he thanked God that Mrs. Ford had given him a present. Soooo cute! Happy Birthday, Jesus! Thanks for allowing us to celebrate it this whole month... to love You and love each other. It's a wonderful gift.

No comments: