Friday, December 11, 2009

Caleb's 17-month Birthday


Caleb turned 17-months old on Tuesday, December 8, or the day before my surgery. That night, we had our family pictures taken, so this is him on his "birthday."
 
I had taken some of him earlier in the day while he was sitting (it's hard to get him to stand still and look at the camera!). He said "Cheeeeese" has he always does now when we're taking his pictures (the only problem is that he doesn't quite understand that he's supposed to smile with his pictures).
  
Caleb is talking quite a bit now. He will say some two-word sentences. For example, he said "Momma night-night" when I woke up one morning and Shawn & the boys were already up. He's also said "more pwease" and "more bite." He also tells us when he's gone potty (so now we'll have to work on him telling us beforehand!). He LOVES the little potty so hopefully he's easier than Joshua. I hope to start with him next month since he's so intruiged. Caleb says "Daddeeee" (which is one of my personal favorites), "Mama," "Bye-eee" (which is also cute), "no," "go," "Josh," and our absolute favorite that he says all the time "please" (well, it sounds a little more like "pwease"). He also says "la-la-la U" when I tell him "I lo-lo-love you." I can't even list all the words he says now. Most of them are quite distinct; others are his versions of the words. But he adds more every day.

Caleb also recently learned how to open doors. I emailed Shawn at work with a note that simple said "WE. ARE. IN. TROUBLE." Caleb also understands the Gingerbread Candy Land game that we've played just about everyday since we opened it (thanks, Aunt Erica!). He will get the shape & color and put the piece on his puzzle board when it's his turn to pull the crank. He's sharp! He's also a little defiant, we're seeing. He still likes to push Joshua's buttons on occasion by taking his toys and taking off with them. When I spanked him the other day for doing something he knew was wrong, after I had reminded him, he looked up at me with angry eyes and smacked himself on the hiney almost as if to say "so there!" It was all I could do to keep from laughing. I told him I loved him, and we were off to playing again.

Caleb insists on walking down the steps like an adult rather than sliding backward. It's terrifying to me, but he's doing okay. He also has switched out of his chair at our table into Joshua's booster seat, and Joshua has chosen to sit in a regular chair all by himself. Caleb still needs strapped in or he'd wander the house with food. It is so interesting to watch them grow.

I was thinking to myself as I was folding laundry, how is it that I have two different sizes of little boy pants, socks, etc. besides our clothes? It really is a miracle from heaven. Oh, how I love my boys! I was reading in my Bible this morning where Elisha saved the little boy who died... before that, there was a woman who had given him a guest room in her house because he was a "man of God" so she asked her to grant her a gift and the Bible said that Elisha's servant told him that the woman didn't have any sons and her husband was very old. So, Elisha told her that she would have a boy. As I read the passage from 2 Kings and how Elisha then saved the boy who got sick, I thought of the blessing of boys. I always thought I wanted a little girl, but I am so very blessed by my boys. The Bible says over and over again what a blessing sons are, and I never want to take them for granted. Happy 17-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

No comments: