Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Getting Better & Catching Up


My surgery went well on Wednesday, December 9. I canceled classes that day and stayed home in bed...for pretty much the entire next week. Anytime I took the pain medication, I was literally knocked out. It made my tongue even feel weird and my brain fuzzy and pretty soon I'd be sleeping even if I was standing up. But, I felt better when I took it, so... it was worth it! As I mentioned before, my mom watched the boys while I was in surgery, then Nonie came and watched them at our house Thursday and made us dinner in the crock pot, then my friend Becca brought us soup (perfect for surgery - thanks so much!) for dinner the next night and Nonie took the boys to her house on Friday so I could rest (meanwhile my Dad stopped in that morning, which was great because I was probably sickest that morning) and my mom came over later and made sure I was okay to take my first shower since the surgery. Then Shawn was here over the weekend and allowed me to sleep off my pain, Sunday our friends from life group the Dehart's brought us dinner (thanks again!), and Monday Aunt Missy came to stay and play with the boys while I rested. That night I had to go to school since it was finals week. My mom came over in the afternoon and curled my hair and helped me get ready and then watched the boys while Shawn came home early and drove me to school. For my first class, he worked on his laptop in my office to get work done for his work and for my night class, he helped me to the room and sat with me while the students took their exam. I was sore and tired, but I made it through! Thanks, everyone, for your help!!!

Tuesday was supposed to me my first day alone with the kids, but after a rough morning, I called my mom to rescue me around 10:30 am. I had taken a couple elbows to my stomach - not purposefully, but the kids play and want their momma and it wasn't a good mix. She came and I took my pain meds and passed out. She left while the kids napped and I called Daddy when they woke up. Wednesday Joshua had preschool in the morning, so my mom drove him there (since I'm not allowed to drive) and my sister Jen brought him home when she was picking up her kids. Jen lifted Caleb into his crib (I'm also not to lift anything over 15 pounds... like that's really feasible!) before leaving since I had already given him lunch and then I tucked Joshua in and rested while they did. I lifted Caleb out of his crib and down to the ground and changed him on the floor for the few days while I was still taking it easy. I got ready for school that night, and Shawn took me & the boys to Millersville. I went inside by myself while they grabbed some dinner out and came back and picked me up. I am so glad this semester is over! I put my grades in the following day and feel free again for a month!!!

I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday for my legs, which my mom drove me & the boys to. The girls (receptionists, nurses, etc) at the Surgical Group LOVED watching the kids and told me over and over "thanks for bringing entertainment." Grandma was very thoughtful and brought a 'Curious George' book for the Bean to read. He LOVES that little monkey! Caleb played peekaboo with me by hiding around all the different seats in the waiting room (no one else was there at the time) until I went back. The surgeon told me that my leg is still inflamed and surgery isn't feasible in January. I told him that January works best for my schedule with teaching, but I was honestly tired of being under the knife for awhile. (He had already asked how I was feeling since my gall bladder was removed...while he didn't perform the surgery, big pictures of my nasty gall bladder are in the front of the chart...YUCK!). He smiled and said that I should come back in April and we'll try to do the surgery in May once classes are done for the semester. That works out well for me, too. Shawn's taken off enough for me, my mom has helped out enough, etc. My friends have made enough meals, etc. I'm done! And while I was hoping that my legs would be taken care of over the winter so that the scarring was starting to heal before the summer, I guess I really don't care. And, maybe God can miraculously heal them up before then? After all, with God, ALL things are possible. :)

Anyway, a BIG, HUGE, GI-NORMOUS THANK YOU to everyone who helped us in some way during this time of recovery. From prayers, to cards, to meals, to rides, to helping take care of our precious boys, we feel extremely grateful for the support we've received. And, we wouldn't have survived without it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm starting to feel like a normal person again. I'm trying not to take the pain medicine unless I feel like I can't stand it. And, for the most part, I feel better in general. Slowly but surely... I think I'll be better by Christmas for sure. God is good. All the time!

No comments: