Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The "Write" Birthday Snack

Here's my little Bean...soon to be three! Where has the time gone? Today was our turn to bring in snack for preschool to coordinate with Joshua's special day coming up this Friday.The school has some pretty specific rules on what is acceptable for snack - no cakes or cupcakes and sweets only on birthdays. Snacks have to comprise two food groups as well. I wanted to do something special for the Bean's birthday, so I saw this "chew on your pencil" snack idea from the Family Fun Magazine. I thought it was clever and doable. The body of the pencil is a cheese stick, the "wood" is a bugel, the "lead" is half a raisin, the "eraser" is ring bologna (or in this case a bite-size pepperoni that I didn't have to cut) and the 'metal' part that holds the eraser on is honey mustard. Here was the finished product:But since it was also his birthday, I thought folks (or the teachers) might be expecting a sweet treat, so I bought this dessert bread (after trying to make sugar cookie bars that didn't turn out so hot) and decorated them by putting a 3 in writing icing. I wanted something that would look close to post-it notes to go with the pencil/writing theme.Here was the entire pan together... the teacher said that the kids enjoyed the snack. Joshua loves cheese and bugels, so I thought he would enjoy this treat.This morning before preschool, Joshua was sitting in time out and Caleb went right up and sat next to his big brother. After Joshua had apologized and we had talked through the issue and hugged, I decided to snap a few pictures of them sitting nicely together in their new shirts from Grandma. They have little motorcycles on them, and I think they're adorable. I love my boys! They are so close!We got to preschool a little early after me running around like a crazy nut to make sure his snack was ready. I even missed my morning workout to make sure we were ready on time! Here are the boys waiting for the doors to the classrooms to open.Eventually Joshua was off to class and Caleb was waving bye-bye. Joshua told me that he learned about the Bible today. :) :) :)When we got home, it was time for Caleb and I to hang out. One of the first things he did was go sit on the potty. He always praises Joshua (since we do) and claps when the Bean is on the potty and he wanted to experience the joy for himself.Caleb also ran into our bedroom, opened one of my dresser drawers, grabbed an old night gown out and put it on over his head. I laughed and laughed! He is so adorable! One of my absolute favorite things that he does these days is nod 'yes.' If you ask him a question and wait for an answer, he will shake his head yes if he agrees. I also love when you ask him where his tongue is and he thinks about it and then starts rolling it out of his mouth. It is too cute for words!I told Joshua that he needed to participate in the craft today. Here is what he made on the first day of school. The front of the necklace says "Holy Bible" and the back says "I will obey your Word." They put the beads on.Joshua's teacher Mrs. Ford and the aide Mrs. Hilton gave Joshua a present for his birthday - a book on the five green and speckled frogs. I don't know the tune - I'll have to look it up. He was excited for a present.And thus starts the celebrations of turning 3... Joshua knows his birthday is September 18 and he now says "I'm 3!" instead of "I'm 2!" I think he's had a growth spurt recently too. He seems so big!

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Joshua and Caleb look so cute in their new shirts! And I thought his snack turned out very nice. Happy Birthday, Joshua!

Love,
Grandma