Thursday, September 17, 2009

Half a Dozen Kids

Joshua (& Caleb) had a busy week in celebrating his birthday. It started with preschool on Wednesday, then the kiddos spent the afternoon with Nonie & the evening with Daddy as I worked. Thursday morning, as previously mentioned, we went to the mall for Joshua's pictures and then we played at the indoor playground and ate a special lunch together. That night, my sister Jen had asked if we would watch her kids so she could go to the Open House for parents at the elementary school behind our home.
We started off the evening playing Hide 'n Seek. Grace was the first one to hide, followed by Faith and then Emma. Joshua LOVED to count to 20 to give them enough time to hide. We would shout the numbers in a group and he was in heaven. Then we would run throughout the house loudly looking for them, again in a group. The little guys really enjoyed it. Eventually, I hid and so did Uncle Shawn (who did a pretty good job at hiding, I must admit!).Afterward, we played on the back porch for a few minutes while Shawn grabbed some old blankets from upstairs to make a blanket tent that stretched from our breakfast bar to our dining room table. The kids loved it (well, everyone but Grace wanted to participate...at first). We turned out all the lights and got a flash light. Then we sang campfire songs and pretended to roast marshmallows. Aunt Val remembered that she had a little bag of mini-marshmallows which she divided among the hungry campers. Grace decided she wanted to play then! Each child but Joshua enjoyed the treat (I'm not a big fan of marshmallows either).From there, we went up to the playroom/office where the kids saw Joshua's school desk and wanted to color (ever since their house has been on the market, their mommy doesn't allow them to have crayons or markers or any coloring time). So, I took the kiddos downstairs to the dining room table to color together. Grace said she would rather read her book and also told me she had a sore throat. So, I said okay since she's old enough to stay by herself while I watched the other kids. They all LOVED coloring. Emma & Faith wrote their names on the Clifford coloring pages and colored the big red dog (only Faith's was a rainbow when she saw that I made my Clifford green). Joshua colored in a different book and Daniel had the book on cars. Caleb saw how much fun the other kids were having and decided to help me color for the first time. He scribbled all over the page and enjoyed it!From there, we decided to put on a sing-a-long DVD and marched the troops downstairs. I asked Grace if she was okay, and she said she was lonely. So, I convinced her to come to the family room by telling her there was a bike there she could ride but it would stay still. She enjoyed biking while the other kids enjoyed 'dancing' to the motions and singing. Soon, Shawn & I noticed, our family of four were the only ones still dancing and the other kids were playing with the toys down there. Haaa!!! I suggested maybe we could get out the Wii for the older kiddos when Aunt Jen (or mommy, depending on who you ask) came in the door. I think Joshua & Caleb enjoyed the time with their cousins.

No comments: