Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Summer Reflections

Today was officially the first day of fall. Fall, mind you, is my absolute favorite season of the year. I love the cooler temperatures at night to sleep with, along with the warmer afternoons as summer gives us one last kiss goodbye. I love to see the leaves change color to orange and red and yellow and then fall off the trees to jump in. I love pumpkins and decorating and all the excitement of going back to school for kiddos.
But, I'm sad to see this summer come to an end. First of all, it's the last summer of my 20s. Second, I think it was honestly the best summer of my life. Over the summer, I really didn't work. I did some volunteering but I didn't have school and I didn't write like I've done in the past. I simply enjoyed spending time with the kids. And while money was tight, we had a great time! We enjoyed venturing out to new places - like the Philly Zoo, Cabella's, Zoo America, Bounce U, Conestoga House & Gardens, the Strasburg Railroad for a Day Out with Thomas, the pool, That Fish Place, a Barnstormers Game, Dutch Wonderland, Binn's Park, Blue Marsh Lake, Florida, the Wilbur Chocolate Factory (haaa!!!), several parks, the indoor playground at Park City, the Flight Deck to watch airplanes, mini-golfing and more! We also had some play dates with friends and family and just enjoyed being outdoors when the weather cooperated.
For the first time since I was 14, I wasn't working. I had zero stress outside of the important things of life (like raising kids!). I was able to start working out again and stopped nursing round the clock. I was able to wake up and decide what to do that day based on what the family was in the mood for rather than someone else dictating our schedules. Other than my surgery and the couple weeks that followed, it just felt good to be alive!
I feel extremely blessed to have a nice house, a great husband and two wonderful children, along with family and friends. We truly have all our needs met! And while I know the Lord has great things in store for us this coming fall, winter and spring, I'm sad to wave farewell to this past summer. But, I'm also thankful for the time we spent as a family. I'm looking forward to the future!

No comments: