Thursday, September 3, 2009

School Daze

Here's a picture of Joshua's classroom.
Life has been absolutely crazy this week, so I haven't taken time out to blog about Joshua's first day of preschool, which was actually an Open House that parents went to with the kiddos. Thankfully Aunt Missy agreed to watch lil' Caleb Luke so I could be with the Bean. First thing that morning, I woke up and went for a jog. Then I got home and got ready, making sure I had everything necessary for his first day ready. He was so excited to go to preschool!We got there extremely early, so I snapped a few photos in the parking lot. Then I went in and paid for the school year (ouch! But thankfully he earned a small scholarship - which I'm hoping will be the first one of many!). Then we headed to his classroom, which is made up primarily of boys. I think that's a good thing, though, since our small group is all girls and he doesn't have a ton of boys to hang out with. The first person we met was Mrs. Hilton, the teacher's aide. She was so sweet and introduced Joshua to the train table, where he played much of the morning.Soon we also met his teacher, Mrs. Ford. She lives in my sister's development near Stoner Park where we always go; and she had met Jen the night before at a development ice cream social. The teacher looked pretty frumpy to me and seems a bit disorganized, but time will tell! She did make it a point to introduce herself to each child and parent.Then we toured the bathroom with the tiny potty in it (so cute!). Seeing the potty reminded him that he had to go, so he went there. Yeah! Next he played with some of the tools on the work bench and blocks, etc. He was feeling a little shy that day, I could tell. You could feel the nervous energy as all parents were excited for back-to-school and this was the first time for these little ones to be away from home. Unfortunately, they didn't give us a warning that it was time to leave for our parent meeting. One of the parents said it was time to go or we would be late, so we all left in a frenzy, which started the crying and fits. I felt bad because Joshua normally is fine when we drop him off for church or wherever, but I didn't realize that we weren't going to be together all morning so I didn't give him any kind of warning. UGH! He was fine when I came back then and so were the rest of the students except for one little boy who cried from the moment he and his mommy walked in the door until they left.Monday was also my first night of class, so when we got home I started fixing the boys lunch and then quickly got changed and Grandma was there to help clean up lunch and do the rest as I ran out the door. MU is also disorganized, which drives me crazy. But, it's a great job so I can't really complain. I found my new office and classrooms and found a good parking spot, so that's all I needed. In my second class the equipment didn't work, which the IT department promised to fix for next week. I was tired and my legs were sore til the end of the night, but I enjoy teaching and am looking forward to a good semester.Grandma snapped a few photos of me before school...just like old times!Tuesday I hadn't made any plans (thankfully). Joshua was actually given homework for him & his mommy. I read all the paperwork the teacher sent home and then we worked on the craft, which was a cutout with his name on it. We had to decorate it together in any way we wanted. On the back, I put fun things about him. Caleb laid down for a morning nap (a rarity! But God knew what we needed!), and Joshua & I sat in the bar stools at the breakfast bar as a special treat for our craft time. He used stampers, crayons and fingerpaint for his portions and I did some cutouts for his little person. He enjoyed it, and I was glad.Here was the finished product. Notice the mittens that he's getting the idea of trying to color inside the lines to make each thing a different color.I had read all about separation anxiety, so I made him a note telling him when we would pick him up and included a picture of our family in case he missed us. I also got his backpack ready for the next day. Then, the Bean said his belly was outchy. I was afraid that maybe he was fearing the next day, so we did a little devotion together and prayed. He seemed to be better, but every once in awhile he would say his belly was in pain. I asked Shawn if I should call the pediatrician and he suggested we just keep an eye on him. We made spaghetti for dinner that night and our doorbell rang while we were in the middle of eating it. Miranda, the babysitter, was there with her little sister wondering if Joshua & Caleb would like to join them in going to the playground behind our house. We said we would be up after dinner. Originally Shawn was going to go to the grocery store as I took the boys, but at the last minute I changed my mind and asked him to come with us instead. Boy was I glad I did! We no more than got there and the Bean climbed up the big steep ladder to go down the slide when Miranda said "JOSH!" and we looked up at his tearful face...and he exploded like a volcano. Vomit covered his outfit and shoes and face as he continued to erupt. There was puke everywhere, including on our sweet babysitter. UGH! I carried him home (which also got me covered in vomit) as Shawn raced home with Caleb and got a bucket of disinfectant and hot water ready. Then we switched and he bathed Joshua while I ran back to the playground to clean it up as best I could. I felt so bad that other children play there, so I scrubbed and scrubbed and threw the water on the woodchips. As I was there, covered in puke and smelling the half-digested dinner I had just eaten, all I could think about was poor Joshua and the fact that he would miss his real first day of preschool the following day. After he vomitted and was cleaned up, he was happy as a clam and hasn't been sick since. I took these pictures of him & Caleb in our bedroom the following day. I asked Caleb to go sit next to Joshua, and the Bean put his arm around his little brother and they sat there for a long time until I finally went and grabbed my camera to take a few snapshots of how sweet they were. So, Joshua missed preschool that day, but I don't think he realized he was 'missing' something. I had my second first day of classes, and everything went well once again.We all have off Monday (even Joshua - his teacher was confused and told us that they had school on Labor Day, but after I told her the newsletter specifically said the school was closed on Monday, Sept 7 she sent out an email to all to say that there were no classes). It will be a busy weekend...more to come on that soon! But, we're also looking forward to Joshua starting class again on Wednesday and NO MORE SICKNESS!

No comments: