Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The End of June

I really need to take more pictures - I'll have to post this entry without a single photo since I don't really have any new ones. Our date on Friday night went well. Two girls showed up at our door at 5:15 pm as I was taking the boys down to the dining room to feed them dinner. I showed the gals how to work our TV, where the toys were, etc. and then I fed the boys while waiting for Shawn to get home. Both girls seemed extraordinarily shy, but I figured with two of them, they should be okay. Shawn & I headed out in his car to El Rodeo on Manheim Pike where we met (in order of their arrival): John & Angie, Chris & Lisa and Angel & Becca. The other couple in our small group, Don & Melanie, already had plans that evening. Since Shawn & I arrived first, we sat at the bar and snacked on chips & salsa until our table was ready. It was nice being out with just adults. We had a nice time. When we got home, the boys were climbing on top of each other on the leather coffee table, both holding onto Caleb's green blankey. I saw each girl holding a boy and telling them to get down. I smiled. Boys will be boys, and the girls seemed right on top of the situation. I was pleased. The girls said the Bean was funny, and as they went to leave he said, "bye-bye, friends!" Having paid babysitters makes our date out a little more expensive, but it was well worth the time together.


Saturday morning, we did our typical yard work, including mowing etc. and I took the boys over to Grandma's pool again to swim, where my three nieces awaited our arrival. When we got back, we headed to church for the later service, where the special music was Audioslave's "Show Me How to Live." Shawn & I giggled as we pictured Joshua dancing to that song all last summer in our garage. He loves the guitars. We call it "the garage song." It made us miss our Bean (and Caleb, of course). Caleb was actually moved into the Angel Fish room for the first time - he's getting sooo big!!!


Caleb has been doing better with walking - he takes many steps in a row before getting down and crawling and he can stand up on his own without holding onto anything. It's amazing to see what a difference even a week can make! Joshua, on the other hand, has taken two steps backward with potty training. He was doing really well, but as we get busy and don't get him to the potty all the time, he doesn't tell us, can't hold it, etc. We've had quite a few accidents. I absolutely hate cleaning poo-poo out of big boy undies. He does okay if he's just wearing undies, but it seems as if adding the shorts on top makes him think he's in diapers again. I know it's a process, but he's not enjoying the potty as much as he once was. I don't know if the novelty has worn off or if we've not been as consistent as we need to be or if he sees our disappointment when he doesn't make it and doesn't want to try again or all of the above. Please, Lord, help us all!


On Sunday, we took a nap and afterward (I was the first one awake) I asked Shawn if he was okay with my taking a jog. It just sounded good - I needed a little break from the workout DVD I've been doing. I ran the whole way from our house to the park and back without stopping. I was impressed - God is good, and I can tell that I'm getting in better shape than I once was (although, I have a ways to go!). That afternoon, the heavens let loose with more rain so we didn't get to go swimming. Shawn went to the driving range with his brother, and the kids & I played at Grandma's for awhile.

The rest of this week we've done some shopping, some playing, etc. The boys & Daddy were playing on the floor last night, and Caleb was copying every move Joshua did. It was amusing to watch as I was making a packing list and starting to gather the things we'll need for our trip. Yesterday Shawn booked our airplane tickets to go down to Florida. We'll be there Friday through Tuesday, which is over Independence Day. We're excited to see the fireworks, go swimming, see the beach and of course spend time with Grandma & Grandpa Ginder and Aunt Erica. Speaking of which, I should get back to packing!!!

No comments: