Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

Hurray for the Red, White & Blue! That was one of Joshua's absolute favorite songs when he was a baby. There was a toy that played that tune and others and he would push the button until that one would come on and then he would let the song play as he bopped to it. Oh, I miss my baby Bean! While I'm so thankful that he's growing into an amazing little boy, I so loved his baby stage too!We woke up Saturday morning and donned our identical flag t-shirts. Bummer that we never got a picture with the four of us next to each other. Oh well!Grandma & Grandpa picked us up from the hotel and we went out to Fisherman's Village. We sat at Harpoon Harry's, one of our favorite restaurants, and watched the boats over the water. Joshua loved it, and we thought the atmosphere with the flags was so neat! Later that night, we returned to watch the fireworks over the water.Next, since it was too early to actually eat at Harpoon Harry's, we went to the restaurant at Burnt Furnace, where I ate a delicious Gyro, one of my favorites. Afterward, we stopped at Walmart where Grandpa & Grandma bought Joshua a green fun noodle, swim-floaties and a green pool ball. He was in heaven!I couldn't believe how he got right in and could swim with these floaties! After reminding him to keep his head up (and not drink the water!), he swam all by himself from Daddy to Grandpa and back and forth. He loved it! My favorite expression from this time was "I'm swimming like a fish, too!" to Grandpa.They blew up a turtle tube for Caleb to float around on. He liked it for awhile since he could splash and not have to be held, but he gets bored pretty quick.I think the best part of their pool is that it's all screened in. No bugs, no dirt, etc. That also means very little sun, though, too. I think I came back whiter than what I started!The boys did not nap that afternoon and got a little grumpy (an understatement). We tried going back to our hotel room around suppertime in a last ditch effort to get them some much-needed rest to no avail. They slept less than an hour and it was time to get ready for dinner.We went to Steak 'n Shake, which was a neat little place that reminded me of a Johnny Rockets back from the '50s. The waitress' name was also Valerie, spelled just like mine.Joshua wore his hat for a little while, but what he really liked was the cardboard car. We all ate burgers and fries (sort of like grilling for the 4th of July, only no work!) and drank milkshakes...an all-American anti-diet meal. It was so good, I'm salivating just thinking of it.Caleb was pretty well spent after supper, so Grandma offered to stay at the hotel room with him while the rest of us headed to the fireworks festivities. Grandpa got a great parking space near the water, and I got so many mosquito bites I likened them to the measels. We walked around the festival, where there was a live band and many different stands and what not.Finally just after 9:30 pm the fireworks started. Joshua said "I'm okay" after the first loud boom. Thereafter, he ran to Daddy's arms and held on for dear life...he was shaking with terror. We walked back to the van while he said "All done noisies." After we got back in the van, Grandpa parked in a parking lot and turned the vehicle sideways so we all saw the lovely display with elevator music in the background and the air conditioning on. Joshua then loved this beautiful display of lights, minus the noise and the crowds. I think in another year he would like it more.Aunt Erica was ready with the glow-in-the-dark bracelets and "neck-e-less" as Joshua called them. He loved these novelties! And so did she, as you can tell.We were dropped off at the hotel room just after 10:30 pm, and thankfully Grandma had already knocked Caleb out, who slept pretty well throughout the night. He woke up twice and got himself back to sleep through crying (although the next morning he felt like an ice cube, so I think he was just cold when he woke up). The night before he had refused to sleep in the hotel room in his pack 'n play and finally passed out around 4:30 am on top of me, so I got less than three hours of sleep total. I needed the rest that 4th of July night. Happy Independence Day!

No comments: