Saturday, July 11, 2009

Oh, that Caleb Luke!

Caleb is definitely developing more personality each day! Yesterday, he stole my hairspray out of my bathroom vanity and threw it on the floor. In a firm voice, I said "Caleb, please pick it up and put it back." I was truly shocked, though, when he looked up at me, quirked an eyebrow, picked it up, put it back in the drawer and walked out. He knows exactly what we're saying!!! I demonstrated that to Shawn this morning when I asked Caleb to pick up the fridge letters he had knocked off and put them back. He did exactly that, on cue. He may not understand everything we're saying, but I think we don't give him enough credit (or probably enough discipline!). He definitely gets away with more than the Bean did at his age. And, Caleb is one sharp cookie, we can already tell. So, in addition to walking and saying a few words, Caleb is understanding what we're saying to him. He's an amazing kiddo!

When he was at the pediatrician, she noted that he was such a dear heart, smiling at her and trying to snuggle as she listened to him (then taking her stethescope and finally playing with her shoes when we put him on the ground to walk). Last night I rocked him to sleep, and he just snuggled in and started to snore on my shoulder - I could have stayed like that all night. Then this afternoon as we waited for Shawn at the store (he had to run and grab a new shovel since his broke today), I looked back at Caleb who would smile away at me and wave and then give me those little dimples with his impish look. He is sooo cute!

We're looking forward to celebrating his first birthday with him and our family and friends tomorrow. :)

My dearest Caleb, when you smile, my heart melts. How I enjoy seeing you grow, watching you walk, realizing you understand us, and snuggling with you as my little boy. Your dimples and sweet spirit have won our affections. We love that you're starting to communicate with your hands and some words. We also just love you for being our son. You are amazing and have brought such a unique dynamic to our family. As Joshua tells you everyday, "We love you, too, Caleb Luke!"

No comments: