Saturday, July 11, 2009

Our Bean is Da' Bomb!

Joshua never ceases to make me smile. I am always in awe of how he is growing and learning and his amazing personality. So, since I am trying to keep this blog somewhat up-to-date as a story of their life for both boys, I thought I would write about some recent happenings for the Bean.

First, I'll start out with a story that made me smile today. He asked me to help take off his shoes (even though he can do this himself) and told me he wanted "dare" feet. I told him that the expression is bare feet - b - b -bare feet. He said "Okay, I want bear feet AND my feet!" Haaaa!!!

Next, I thought Shawn's mom gave us the nicest compliment in Florida when she said how amazingly well-mannered Joshua is. She said something to the effect of him saying please and thank you and being well-behaved. Oh, how that is music to a mother's ears!

In reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart," one chapter asked "what is your goal for your child?" I had to really think about this. The book suggests the goal be that the child knows, loves and enjoys God. Obedience, good behavior and other positive things are outcomes of wanting to serve the Lord. Being good for "goodness sake" doesn't really get at the root of why we behave the way we do. I know I'm not saying it as well as the author does, but in general, my goal for Joshua is that he would WANT to be a good boy because he would want to honor his heavenly Father. If I can help lead him on a path of righteousness to be in unity with Jesus' heart, than I feel more blessed than any momma could.

Another great story I have to share: the night we got back from our trip, I was unsure about taking him to Bible study. But, I didn't want to let down my friend who was bringing her daughter. I knew Caleb was in no state to go to a play group, but I thought Joshua could handle it. I was so glad I took him! When I picked him up, the childcare worker told me that Joshua helped Isabella cheer up after her mommy left. Not only that, he also was "very social" they said and talked to all the other children and was sooo good the whole night. I didn't hear them saying those things to other parents, so I know they were telling me the truth. Again, it was neat to see his sweet personality shine through, even after a long day of travel.

Today my mom came over for a little while and watched the boys as we did some last minute grocery shopping for Caleb's party tomorrow (thanks!!!). Joshua & I have been playing a game about "what does a doggy say?" and as I say all other things like "moo, meow, quack, hee-haw, neigh, oink, whoo-whoo," etc. he'll say "no, silly, that's a cow, kitty cat, duck, donkey, horse, pig, owl," etc. Mom said how sharp he is for being two. He really does know his letters, his animals, his colors, how to count, and other things that do blow my mind. He sings along with many songs and knows the lyrics and tunes by heart. It's just amazing to see his mind expand, and I do think he's sharp (although, every mom feels like that, I'm sure!). He also cleans up after himself for the most part and is intuitive into how we feel. I could give so many examples, but I'll save those for another day.

My precious Joshua, how you have blessed your Dad & I from the moment you were born up until this evening. Your gentle spirit, your willingness to learn & to try things, your talkative personality, your sweetness to the entire family & your little friends...these things are things about you that we will always cherish. You are an amazing child! We love you!
Joshua & his friend Alayna play the piano together, both gently enjoying each other's company (and the "music")...

No comments: