Sunday, April 15, 2012

Egg-celent Painting!

Saturday morning, I hard-boiled the two dozen eggs we had purchased the night before. I dried them well and put them in the fridge to paint that morning. While shopping with Grandpa earlier in the week, I had purchased the cheapest egg dye kit they offered. I've learned that most of the stickers don't stick to the eggs and the kids probably aren't quite old enough to do some of the crazy glitter and patterns that I found. The cheapest ones work well and the kids were thrilled.
I brought down a white crayon and let them color on a couple, showing them that the dye doesn't paint over the crayon markings. They loved dropping them into the colors and rolling them with the spoons.
The colors we had were blue, green, orange, yellow, purple and red. When we'd ask the boys what colors they wanted to paint their eggs, almost without fail Joshua would say "GREEN" while Caleb would shout "BLUE!" They both picked their favorite colors. :)
I helped get them started and asked Daddy to help me take a few pictures. He reluctantly agreed. Why don't daddies like cameras as much as mommies?
While we were in the middle of painting, Aunt Missy & Uncle Kevin stopped in. She had heard that Shawn was sick and made him a batch of meadow tea, his favorite. That was very nice of her!
She also brought little gifts for the boys. Ryan received a little hatched duck and the boys each got a little bunny that would hatch out of an egg once soaked in water overnight. Joshua was thrilled to see his, and as he was taking it into the kitchen to put in water, he fell, dropped his bunny egg and it cracked, revealing the surprise inside. Daddy said "that's okay, we'll still put it in the water so you can see it hatch." We giggled at his clumsiness. Poor Bean!
We were able to visit a little while with Missy & Kevin before they headed out and we finished the last of our egg painting.
The boys enjoyed decorating all two dozen eggs.
A couple days later I made my first attempt at deviled eggs, using a recipe that Alicia had emailed me from allrecipes.com. It included using bacon in the hardboiled eggs instead of salt, and they were awesome! Joshua decided he really liked deviled eggs at the same time that I decided they were too much of a hassle to make (let alone all those calories!).
Here are the pictures of our finished eggs - you can see the heart and cross and their names on the eggs. :) I love doing fun things for Easter. :) :) :)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ha! Love your comment about daddies not liking cameras as much as mommies. Our husbands are so the same! Don has recently started calling me the blog monster rather than mommarazzi.:( I try to tell him even without the blog, I would still be taking pictures and video, but whatever! :~