Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Father's Day Weekend

I'm trying to remember what happened a couple weeks ago, and lack of sleep does make the brain a bit fuzzy. But, I'll do my best! Since I was unable to drive and going a bit stir crazy, the weekend of Father's Day (June 18-19), we toured two Parade of Homes - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Both were by the same builder and in Manheim Township near us. I loved the first one we saw (of course, they're asking $750k for it, so we'd never buy it and couldn't even afford the taxes if they'd give it to us!). It's fun to look and dream. This one had a great yard for kids, great layout in general, and I loved that it had a running trail right by it, similar to our house. The second house we saw was the winner this year, but it was a little too modern for me and not really built with children in mind, I'm sure. Shawn liked it. I thought the drive way was ridiculously steep, and I was extraordinarily sore after going to look at it. I probably did too much, but it was fun!
When we got in the car, we started playing the game "Joshua, are you here?" and he'd say "HERE!" Then we'd go on to Caleb, Daddy, Mommy and baby Ryan. Someone always says a little "here" for Ryan, and Joshua tells us that we have to teach him how to talk so that's why we answer for him now. Then one of the boys (typically Caleb) will not answer or say "Nope, I'm not here!" and we say that we simply must turn around and go back for whoever was left behind. As Daddy pretends like he's going to turn around, our "missing" boy will pipe up that he IS with us and we all act relieved. The boys love the game. We play it often.
I got the boys dressed Sunday morning and I put them all in "Dad" shirts. Joshua is wearing a shirt that says "Dad is my hero" in the above picture, and Ryan's onesie says "Dad's team" on it below. Caleb didn't have a "Dad" shirt per se, but he's wearing an Atlanta Braves t-shirt, which is Daddy's favorite baseball team. I loved the first picture on this post of Daddy with all his little men. I love each one of my boys!

After getting the boys dressed, I made omelets for breakfast at Shawn's request. The boys had signed a card for Daddy, and I was surprised that Caleb signed his own name and it was legible. It wasn't the handwriting of an adult by any means, but you could tell all the letters and what it said. Joshua also signed the card, and I signed it from Ryan. The little gift we had gotten Daddy, he had also bought himself earlier that week. And since I wasn't driving, there was no returning it. But, his weed-whacker had died, so he ordered one online that day. Not an exciting gift, but something that he needs and wanted to get.
The boys helped water the flowers that weekend. Caleb puts a little water on the flowers and mostly dumps it on himself. Joshua loves to play the "branches" game with Daddy, where Daddy cuts down old dead stuff out of our yard (some of which starts at the neighbors but dips into our back yard) and the boys help put the small cut pieces into the cans that we take to the compost dump. Joshua found a branch that looked like antlers and told us he was a deer. I wished I had had my camera for it because he did actually look like a deer! I love to see his imagination as he plays!

I also took the boys to the playground out back to give Daddy a few minutes to himself. I don't remember what he was doing, but chances are it was to mow the yard or use power tools without "helpers." That said, he is a great father and tries to include the boys where it's safe for them to be. Even though it's quicker just to work yourself, they love to be Daddy's little helpers, and he's great at bringing them into what he's doing. I am blessed by his intentionality in raising our boys and his parenting skills. When looking for a spouse, being a good dad wasn't something I really thought about. I am so thankful that Shawn is a great husband AND a great father. Happy Father's Day, my love!

No comments: