Thursday, April 14, 2011

Second "First" Trip to the Dentist

On Thursday, April 7, Caleb had his first dental cleaning. While this would be considered his first visit to a big boy dentist, he had went when he was a baby and his teeth were growing in because he has one in the front that the doctor's office wanted to make sure wasn't broken or chipped (instead it's one tooth with two heads, which makes it look like there's a small fracture in it). So, at that visit, they simply evaluated his teeth whereas at this one, they evaluated and cleaned them and he's officially a regular patient now that he's just about three. Oh, how my little guy has grown!

When we got there, he played and played (and I discovered that I had forgotten my camera - whoops!). Then he saw Dr. Aaron Miller, my favorite. The dentist treated him like a star patient because this was his first time there. (A star patient is one that only sees the dentist and not a hygienist first). The doctor warned me that all kids cry the first time as Caleb climbed up on my lap to get his teeth cleaned. But, Caleb obeyed what the dentist asked him to do and wasn't upset at all. The dentist told him that his teeth looked great, that mom must help with his brushing since it looked good (which I nodded) and lastly that he smelled like syrup and that must be the hottest new cologne. Indeed, Caleb had spilled a drop of syrup on his pants at breakfast that morning, but after I wiped it off, it didn't show so I kept the outfit on. The smell must have stayed with him.

The dentist told us not to give our kids chewies (like fruit snacks, etc) because they rot teeth faster than battery acid. He also asked if I gave my kids syrup everyday. I laughed and said "nope! I don't have time to make a hot breakfast everyday." He smiled. Syrup and other sugary things aren't great for them either, but not a harm once in awhile. He then gave Caleb his prizes and we were out the door within a short time frame. He also praised Caleb for how well he did, as did I. He was such a big boy! We'll go again for our next cleaning and check-up in six months. Great job, little buddy!

1 comment:

Robin Maner said...

Second "first" trip, huh? Now that's a brave kid. You will rarely find a person who's not afraid of the dentist. And you deserve to be praised, seeing how you kept his teeth fine up to this point.