Saturday, April 23, 2011

'Cause We're Cousins...

After the Easter egg hunt last Saturday, the boys came home for naps. When they woke up, I packed their suitcase (not realizing that we didn't have a small one any more because it got destroyed on Daddy's last trip) and we headed up to Reading to Nonie & Poppy's house to play and spend the night. I think Joshua may have only been there overnight once before, and Caleb never had. Nonie wanted to see how the boys would do at their house since they could have them for a night while we're in the hospital. The kids always enjoy playing with their toys, particularly the trains. And they also LOVE their older cousin Jordon, who's pictured in between them above, reading them a story (thanks for taking the photo, Aunt Alicia!). In this picture, they're hanging out in Jordon's room (since they live right next door).

After we dropped them off, Shawn & I headed to our dinner reservations at Hayden Zugs. It was POURING out, and you have to walk a little bit from the parking lot to the actual restaurant. We had a coupon to use, but it was still extremely pricey. That said, we would normally not go somewhere like that with our kids, so having a babysitter already lined up gave us the chance to go to a nicer place. The food was absolutely delicious! And the company was the most special part, as always. From there, we had talked about going out to see a movie. But, with the extremely stormy conditions, we decided instead to go home (stopping for dessert along the way to bring back to our house).

We both got into comfy clothes and watched the movie "Sanctum" here, which is one that I wanted to see. I thought it was good; Shawn didn't seem all that impressed. We paused it for me to go to the bathroom (ah, the joys of pregnancy!) and Shawn turned on the regular TV just in time to see an update about the weather. They were calling for tornadoes in our area at that exact moment (with the typical lightning, thunder and even hail that was already coming down). Every broadcast had been interrupted for the newscasts to tell folks to move into their basement. I was worried about the boys, seeing that the severe weather alerts were for our area during that hour and Berks County the following. I asked Shawn if we should call, and he said no. Then our doorbell rang. WHAT!?!? I wasn't really dressed for company, so I made Shawn answer it with his pajama pants. Here it was our really sweet neighbor, braving the elements to tell Shawn that he left our lights on in the minivan when we came home. He had noticed them an hour before but when they didn't go off and we didn't turn them off, he feared we were going to have a dead battery in the morning. How nice! I wouldn't have gone out in that storm for any reason (maybe I would have offered to give them a jump in the morning???). We are truly blessed with some fantastic neighbors. Shawn went out and turned them off right away. Then we finished the movie (after all, we were already in our basement!).

After the movie ended, we watched a little more news and went to bed. Only I couldn't sleep thinking about my boys. I kept dreaming that Caleb needed me...to the point that I woke Shawn at 3 am to tell him we should go get them. He told me to go back to sleep. After church the next morning, we called to see how they were doing, and it sounded like they were doing fine. Please pray for them while I'm in the hospital. I'm so worried already! And I know that worry can't do anything for me. But, it's the worst part of giving birth to have to leave your other kids. That afternoon since I hadn't slept most of the night, I took a nice nap. Then we headed to life group, where we were asked to lead the discussion because we had volunteered to preview the videos. It was quite a lively discussion, which I enjoyed. One of the "debates" was whether or not God cares (and therefore provides for) the smaller things in our life like a parking space or a sale on something we want to buy, etc. The group was rather split. I personally think He does care (in fact, I prayed for a good parking space the following Tuesday when it was pouring, we were running late enough that I feared we wouldn't get any space, and I was wearing heeled shoes... and the moment I pulled into the parking lot a woman left the space right next to the door. Coincidence? I truly don't think so. So, I had to give God credit and thank Him for it!).

After life group, we went to pick up our boys. I was missing them tremendously. Shawn laughed at me - they'd only been gone from us about 24 hours. Our little guys gave us big hugs and told us how much fun they had - what they ate, where they played, how they pretended to be on a rocket ship outside with Jordon, where they slept, etc. Alicia also blessed us with three bins of clothing for the boys... as Caleb keeps growing, he's catching up with Joshua! We are thankful for borrowed clothes. :) Joshua keeps wanting to wear everything that Jordon used to. [He does the same thing with his cousin Grant; these clothes become special to him.] We visited with the boys for a little while when we got home, but soon enough it was time for PJs and bed. I was glad to sing to them, pray with them, and tuck them in their own covers. I love my little buddies! And I'm thankful that they had a great time over the weekend without us.

No comments: