Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Places We Go, the Stories We Know

On Friday, April 1, we woke up to snow laying on the ground. It seemed like a cruel April Fool's joke. I dropped the boys off at Mamaw's house and then went to my doctor's appointment. Dr. Conslato was late getting to me, and apologized, saying she was sending someone off to have her baby. I knew that my neighbor's baby was overdue and that she had an appointment before me, so it made the wait more bearable - other than I forgot my reading material at home! Doh! I was glad the boys were having fun playing while I was waiting. Everything with our little guy continues to progress nicely, so I'll see her again in two weeks.

Normally on April Fool's Day I would play practical jokes on people, but when you're this pregnant, it wouldn't be funny to make up a story and then have something bad happen. So, the only one I did was at the very end of the day, when I asked Shawn if lil' Caleb Luke had taken scissors to his shirt again. He alarmingly looked all over his shirt and then I said "April Fools." I don't know if I had posted before or not, but one time when Daddy was working on paying bills, Caleb had gotten scissors and told him that he was going to cut him. Shawn thought he was cutting paper and didn't realize that he was, indeed, cutting his shirt. I missed it in washing it and hanging it up, so Shawn wore it to work before realizing that it looked like he had gotten into a fight with a mountain lion. Haaa!!! My sweet hubby is NOT a morning person, so things get by him before 10 am. ;-)
There have been so many cute stories to post, but I haven't taken the time to do so because of having other responsibilities. Here are a few, though, that have made us laugh and laugh over the last week. Both boys lips were chapped, so Joshua asked if they could have some glue stick for them. Shawn looked at each other and winked. Oh, SO tempting! I corrected him and said "it's Chapstick for chapped lips" and he said "no, I need a GLUE stick for my lips." This brought serious laughter. I gave him chapstick, and he complained that it was red rather than his favorite color green. Oh, my little Bean! Caleb, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with the chapstick. He's terrified of it, even though his lips get so dry.

You can see in these pictures that I helped the boys build helicopters out of their Trio connector-piece-thingies. They love to build different things, and I'm thankful that the box came with ideas of what to build and how. But, they are hard to snap together. They had fun playing helicopters, though.

Joshua also wanted to play the Wii and asked Daddy for help. I was downstairs with him, and he said he wanted to practice the boxing (this one is a simple game where you dodge the 'punches' coming toward you by moving). In order to play it, though, you have to have a nun-chuck hooked up to your Wii remote. I wasn't sure how to do it, so I told the Bean to go ask Daddy for a "nun-chuck." He went running upstairs to find Daddy, and said "Daddy, Daddy, please give me a nun-chuck." Caleb went running after him happily saying "Daddy, Daddy, please give me a dump truck!" Haaaa!!! Shawn & I both cracked up. :) :) :)
For how terrible the weather was on Friday, Monday was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. First thing in the morning, we baked an apple coffee cake to take to Study & Share the following day. Then, we went to Aunt Becky's house to grab a book she was editing for me. Since the boys will spend one night there when I'm in the hospital, Aunt Becky showed them around her house, including the room where they will sleep. Then she gave them a snack, which they loved. We didn't stay long, but they had fun. When we got home, we went for a walk around the neighborhood. Both of them asked to walk rather than ride, which I agreed to. They made it pretty well around the neighborhood without getting too tired! And of course, they said hello to everyone we saw, including the receptionist at our dentist office. When we got back, they played in the garage/out on the driveway. The boys drove their little cars, drew with sidewalk chalk, dug dirt out of our 'flower bed' and had a blast outside. I let them play longer than normal because it was so gorgeous (75 degrees) and we've had a long winter. On our walk we saw so many blooming flowers and trees that it felt amazing.

When we came in, Caleb told me he was very tired. But, I made them lunch first before going upstairs. Then he said he had to go potty. Since he likes privacy to do his 'official' business, I asked if he'd like me to leave and he said 'yes.' So, I played with Joshua in the office while we waited for him to finish. It had been awhile and I hadn't heard anything so I called to him - but he didn't respond. I went to check on him, and I found him... his undies were down around his ankles, he had gotten off the potty and he was laying on the bathmat in our bathroom SOUND ASLEEP! I almost took a picture but then thought better of it. It was seriously so cute! I scooped him up, and he told me he was VERY tired. I put a pull-up on him, and I tucked both boys in bed.

Since the weather was so nice,  I woke them up after an hour and a half and asked if we could go back outside to play, which they readily agreed to. We went to the backyard this time and kicked balls around, and got out some of our summer toys like Frisbees (which Joshua is starting to learn how to catch and can toss pretty well). Daddy came home and joined us outside. I wished I had gotten something out of the freezer to grill instead of what I had planned, which needed to bake in the oven. But, such is life. After we ate a quick dinner, I took the boys to the playground behind our house for one last hurrah before the night's end. While we were there, Caleb told me he had to go potty once again. I thought that was a good sign when he's willing to come in from playing to go.

It had been a gorgeous day! I had even gotten the chance to workout while the kids napped, which is rare these days. We were all tired that night and slept well. Please God, send spring & summer quickly!
I'm trying to think of other events that I've missed posting about. We did take the boys to Barnes & Nobles on Saturday, where they played trains and we read some books together while Daddy looked around. (This picture was taken there.) They were both very well behaved.

They also went with me to drop off a meal for our neighbor and her family yesterday, and Joshua was thrilled to get to see the baby while Caleb was in awe of their puppies. :) Joshua told my mom that I've been pregnant a long time now. I think he's ready to meet his little brother, as are we! I was starting to think of things we need to get done before the baby arrives (well, maybe not "need" to get done but stuff I'd "like" to get done!) and the list was feeling a little overwhelming as we only have less than two months to go. But, we'll see what we can do. :)

While we've played lots of games and created new potato head characters and all sorts of fun things in between, I'm not remembering to get my camera out as often as I used to. So, enjoy the couple pictures that I did take. :)

No comments: