Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy 55 Months, Joshua!

Monday, April 18, Joshua turned 55-months old. I can't believe how much my little guy is growing, both internally and externally. The day after this milestone, he had a doctor's appointment, which was a pre-op physical for his upcoming surgery scheduled for May 2 (please pray for him!). His stats include:

Height: 3' 6" (54.69%)
Weight: 37 lbs 8 oz (41.36%)
BMI: 14.95 kg/m2

The pediatrician gave him the 'all clear' for surgery, but gave me signs to watch for that would make the anesthesiologist not go ahead with the procedure. It drives me crazy to go into an office that is filled with sickness when my children are healthy, but I guess this gives them a baseline if something were to go wrong. And I'm thankful to have Joshua's current stats. I love to have snapshots in time!

Lately, Joshua has been really into stories. I tell him Bible stories, and he LOVES it! We've moved on from Noah & the ark, Jonah & the whale and even Moses & the Israelites to also include David & Goliath, Daniel & the lion's den, and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (which I'm not positive this is how you spell their names, but then again, these weren't their God-given names anyway...). Joshua listens intently and tells me if I've left out any details that he remembers hearing before. As I was telling him again yesterday, I asked if he could tell me a theme throughout the stories (explaining that a theme is a common thread between all the stories). He said "how about that they obeyed God?" I was surprised that he understood what I meant and even more surprised that he really grasped the stories and their meanings. I said "ABSOLUTELY! And they trusted God!" How I pray that my Bean will always trust and obey God like these Biblical men!

Joshua also loves to tell the story of Jesus dying on the cross, and the stone being rolled away from the tomb to reveal that His body was no longer there. He made a tomb craft in preschool with a 'stone' that can be removed (since it's taped in place) and he loves to show it off to whoever will listen. I love it! I'll have to take a picture of it. I also love to hear him say his Bible verses. His latest one from preschool is Ecclesiastes 3:1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." He has little motions that go along with it that are just precious!

He is also at the age that he can teach me new songs that he's learning. For example, he came home singing "Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun, won't you shine down on me?" I asked him to teach me the words (Lord, we really do need sunshine!!!) and he did. Now Caleb & I can sing along with him.

Joshua still loves singing, and he still loves to play with his trains, cars, planes, balls, coloring books, etc. We've been working on his puzzle books, and he loves them! We've done all the activities in the ones that arrived that he can do (he's not great at coloring within lines completely yet, so some of them where you have to be precise aren't done, but the rest he did really well with!). Joshua loves puzzles and games. We've moved on to add a new game to ones that we typically play where I say a word and the boys tell me what letter it starts with (rather than them just coming up with words that start with a letter). They both do really well with it.

Joshua's memory has amazed us these past couple weeks. For example, when we were driving to Nonie & Poppy's house, he said "Do they still have that bird on their garage?" After thinking about it, I said "Yes, I think there is something there." When we arrived, he said "Whoops! It's above the garage, not on it." Indeed, there is one of those bird things that used to be a decoration on siding that was popular when the house was built (we had one a long time ago as well). The fact that he remembered it and it's been a long time since we'd been there really surprised us. We went to Target the evening of his birthday, and he said "The last time I was at this store, I was with Mamaw buying my big boy car seat." It's been months since Mom took him shopping to Target, and I rarely go there, but he remembered. He also can tell you what we're near as we're driving, just from his observations. If we as parents say something, we had better stick to it because he remembers!!!

My boy still hates to have his hair or nails cut or get his head or face wet in the bathtub. I'm wondering if these are things that he'll outgrow.

Joshua is showing independence these days. He completely dresses himself and has been for awhile. He also likes to pick out his own clothes (although sometimes I veto them if they really don't match or if I have something in mind for a special day). He also likes to read books himself. If we read one together, he'll climb off my lap and take it to study it. It only takes a few times of me reading it to him before he has many of the pages memorized, so he can pretend to read it himself.

He still carries his bags of toys around, but he doesn't sleep with them anymore. They do pile up in his room, though, until I make him put things away in the office and only keep a few "treasures." He also remembers who bought him what when it comes to gifts. He'll say "this came from Great Grandma Good" or "Mamaw & Papaw got me this" or "Mamaw bought me this when we were shopping."

There are so many things I love and appreciate about Joshua. I love how he's mellowing in many areas as he gets older, even though he still has a fiesty personality. I love that he's still willing to give hugs and kisses and hold hands with us as parents and enjoys cuddle time. I love that he really enjoys playing with his little brother and tells him often how they are friends. I love that he has a gentle spirit and heart and would never hurt anyone intentionally. I love that I don't have to worry about him getting into things, even if I give him some independence. I love that I can trust him in the big things, even though I know he still needs guidance. I love his smile and how it brightens up any room. He is such a sweet boy! Happy 55-month birthday, my little Bean! As you tell me every night when I give you 12 kisses and one to grow on (at your request), you're growing up....but not too big and not too fast!!! You'll wait a little while until you're as big and strong as Daddy. :) :) :)

No comments: