Monday, January 19, 2009

A New Uniform

Lately, I have been addicted to the show "What Not to Wear." I don't get the chance to watch that much TV, but when I could, I've been watching what Stacy London & Clinton Kelly tell women to wear to be in style on TLC. As I've been thinking about idols from my readings in Isaiah, I think I've been idolizing fashion (and beauty). I started researching shoes and desiring to go shopping (thankfully I don't have much time) and thinking about the best "look." This past weekend when the boys were napping, I found these adorable shoes online at Shoes.com. I was in love...until I saw the price tag. For these lovely Michael Kors pumps, the 'sale' price was $150. I couldn't spend almost a month's worth of grocery money on shoes! This weekend, I re-organized my closet, moving some things that I don't wear out of the way and packing up some bigger things that no longer fit. I was feeling sad about what was left (other than a few new shirts from my mom - thank you so much!!!). But, I really don't have the money to be finding a new fantasy with fashion, and I've been thinking I need to let go of the show so I don't feel so ugly or out of date.

That said, I literally gasped when I opened my "Mothers of Preschoolers" devotional tonight (thanks for the gift, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder!) and read the following passage:

A MOM'S UNIFORM
"Therefore, do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 NIV

When a mother looks into her closet, she may notice that the contents have miraculously rotated. The jeans, sweats and comfy shirts are now easily reachable in the front, while the untouched business clothes and once-coveted white pants have somehow been regulated to the memorabilia section in back. The dusty trophy of days gone by - those white pants - will most likely not see the light of day for many years, as peanut butter, crayon, and grape juice are now part of the daily repertoire.

Does she retain the same value in the eyes of the world while wearing the "uniform" of a mom? Perhaps not. But what is her worth in the sight of the Lord? Moms need not measure their self-worth on the scale that the world imposes: wealth, wardrobe, and wordly-goods. Rather, the true scale used to determine success is measured with eternal glory. While outward appearances may seem to diminish when business attire is traded for play clothes, inward appearances become increasingly glorious as daily sacrifices are made in answer to the call of motherhood.

Lord, thank you for the privelege of being a mom. Help me to remember that You value this role as one of Your highest callings and greatest challenges. And help me to see myself as You see me. Amen.

Isn't God so good as He cares about our inmost thoughts & desires and redirects our focus back to Him and our calling? May I focus on being beautiful from the inside out and remember that right now I am producing "fruit" in my children, which is far more important than the latest trends or gorgeous zebra-print high heels!

No comments: