Thursday, January 15, 2009

Barfapalooza Fest '09

A week has gone by since my last post...and I hope I never have a week like it again! It started out nice, actually. We were supposed to have breakfast last Friday morning with Julie and her kiddos Jude & Kate at Eat 'n Park, but she couldn't find her keys. So, Joshua, Caleb & I ventured over to her house and ate Ruby Tuesday's curbside-to-go for lunch. Sometime last week we also watched the movie "Wall-E" as a family, and we enjoyed it!

Saturday morning, after brushing Joshua's teeth, he was running in big circles in our tiny bathroom. He took the corner too wide and tried to stabilize himself on our shower curtain "wall"... which you can imagine wasn't the greatest idea. He fell head-first into the bathtub and split his lip open. He cried during his nap, so we assumed he had a headache, but we didn't think too much about it. That evening, we went to church as a family and ran into Grandma there. Afterward, we went to my sister Jen's house for pizza and visited with Grandpa Georgia who had arrived that afternoon.

After we came home around 8 pm, we all got into our jammies. Shawn was on the phone with Grandma Ginder and I was feeding Caleb while Joshua was unwinding to a little Elmo. All the sudden, the Bean ran into the office where I was and said "Mommy...mommy...mom-BLAH!" ALL OVER OUR CARPET!!! I began cleaning him up while Shawn quickly got off the phone and started cleaning up the floor. Within seconds of being changed, Joshua vomitted again...and again...and again. It was a nightmare. In our bedroom on the floor, in his bedroom, in his bed, on our bed...it just kept going. I said to Shawn, do you think he could have a concussion? Shawn did some research online, and while vomitting normally starts closer to the time of the fall, depending on the injury and the brain, it could happen later. So, I decided to call the pediatrician and just ask the question to soothe my fears. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the pediatrician told us to go immediately to the emergency room.

We left our house at 10:30 pm after being connected immediately to the pediatrician (no waiting for anyone to call us back!) as a family to the hospital. Joshua threw up in the waiting room upon entering the hospital and kept going the entire time we were there. They took us back fairly quickly and did a CT Scan of his brain. Luckily there was no sign of bleeding or anything dangerous. So, they assumed he had a stomach virus. However, the ER doctor said that with the fall and his continued vomitting, they wanted to admit him overnight for observation. After some discussion of who should stay and who should go, I took Caleb home around 2 am and started some of the thousands of loads of laundry of yucky towels and Bean clothes and our clothes (Joshua had gotten both of us and his coat in the hospital). I finally passed out about 3 am and Shawn called at 4:30 am to give me the Bean's room number. After getting off the phone with him, I began vomitting...and I couldn't stop either. It was awful!

At 5:30 am I called my mom. I needed help! Thank God for mommas! She skipped church and came over. Shawn said that after I left another doctor who reminded him of "House" on TV came into the room to evaluate Joshua. After listening to him, watching him walk, looking into his eyes, and more tests, they determined he did, in fact, have a concussion. But, the concussion didn't cause the vomitting. The Bean was downright sick. They gave him an IV of fluids and he began to feel better. But, after being released Sunday, he came home and kept on vomitting. Me, too! (Thankfully my mom picked up Shawn & Joshua from the hospital.) I've never been so sick! I called my doctor and they ordered something "not so nice" to help control the nausea, which didn't work. In the meantime, each time I took it I had to pump rather than feed Caleb. He wouldn't take the bottle and we were all miserable. It was the worst day. My mom was so helpful!

I took Joshua to the doctor's Monday morning, and they said that the bug lasts five days. We're on day five, and he's still got diarrhea really badly. Shawn got the sickness, too, and for the first time since I've known him, he came home sick from work and called off a day. That's against his grain! So, you know he was deathly ill! I missed seeing my Dad while he was here. :( :( :( But, it couldn't be helped. My whole house smells...we've cleaned the carpets, taken out the diaper genie, done laundry, but there's just still a STANK!

Monday night I made it through my first class, thank the Lord! I wasn't sure I could but I did it. I knew I had to. Daddy's back to work today, I'm feeling weak but better. Joshua's still going through diapers and pants. Caleb, praise God, hasn't had any illness.

I'm thankful we're all on the mend! Caleb had his six-month well-baby check-up on Tuesday. More on that to come! Please pray that we all stay well and that no one else - family, friends, acquaintances, or even enemies! - would get this nasty bug!

No comments: