Saturday, January 17, 2009

Caleb's 6-month well check

On Tuesday morning, Mom came over and watched a still-sick Joshua while I took Caleb to the pediatrician for his well check-up. His stats are:

Weight: 18 lbs (60%)
Length: 27 1/2" (90%)
Head Circ: 17 1/8" (50%)

They are concerned about Caleb not eating as much. He hates rice cereal and oatmeal, so we've moved onto other foods. But, Dr. Riley said we're going to be concerned about his iron level. So, I'm mixing the rice cereal with foods he will eat, and she suggested trying to let him feed it to himself. I'm forcing him to eat. He hates it! I hate it! But, I want him to be healthy. He's also dropped off considerably with nursing. Dr. Riley said that his 9-month well check will indicate whether or not we're having success or needing to take other measures. Please pray that he eats and is healthy for him! His body weight percentile is down 10% from the last visit.

Caleb also should be sitting up on his own. I realized I haven't been working with him enough on it. So, we've started since then. He can army crawl and move all around the room, but he can't sit upright unassisted. This was the hardest part for Joshua in physical development, too, I remember. I must dig out the papers that helped us in knowing how to assist them in learning this critical step!

Caleb is still easygoing and sweet, but he fears strangers now and isn't as nice for babysitters as he used to be. The pediatrician said that's normal. She also said it's normal for him to be scared when I'm not around and that's why he keeps waking me up at night crying. He thinks I'm not coming back. This, too, shall pass.On Friday I took Caleb to get his six-month pictures done at JCPenney's. What a fiasco! I got the "beauty school dropout" (what I call pretty people who are downright stupid) who didn't have any idea how to position kids or how to take photos. She even thought she deleted them all after we were there two hours and had to call the helpdesk. It was pointless because I've never seen such awful pictures, and Caleb will typically smile for anything or anyone. Ugh!!! It was a waste of time! But, it wasn't worth 'crying over spilled milk' about. We get lots of pictures here, but my camera needs batteries and I swear every picture I take with Shawn's turns out fuzzy. It drives me crazy-go-nuts!Here's our little butter-ball baby in his swim trunks, t-shirt & sun hat. Today I've been digging through my bins of clothing for summer things for both boys to wear since we're heading to Florida this Wednesday to see Grandma & Grandpa Ginder and Aunt Erica. This outfit was given to me when Joshua was first born, but it was the wrong season. It fits Caleb perfectly! What a cutie pie!

No comments: