Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

We had a very nice relaxing weekend for a change. My sister was away at the cabin this weekend, so my mom offered to watch Joshua for a little while on Friday night so Shawn and I could go on a date. It was wonderful! I am so blessed to have my parents and Shawn for a husband!

Saturday morning, mom and I went grocery shopping and bought not only food for our house but also enough that we could make Jess & Tim and Jen & Ryan meals. I used the Ginder recipe for chicken noodle casserole, and mom stayed and helped. Cooking isn't nearly as bad when you have company! We even made one for us for dinner that night. I thought it was delicious. Hopefully their families enjoyed it, too.
Shawn & Joshua had bonding time this weekend, too, which gave them together time and me a little break. I love my little boy, but it's nice to see him respond well to Shawn, too! Joshua seems to be calmed down the most when I sit down and cup my legs to where my feet touch, and his head rests on my feet and his body is in between my legs. I sang the song "Shake a friend's hand, shake a hand next to ya, shake a friend's hand....and sing...sing Hal-la-la-la-lelujah!" with lots of different lyrics in it, and he absolutely LOVED it. Here's a picture of Shawn feeding Joshua while watching the Saints beat the Eagles.

Grandma Ginder stopped in yesterday on her way through and brought lots of neat presents for the baby, including a sailor outfit and a fork and spoon with Joshua's name on them, a Redskins hat that lights up for Shawn, and a frog with a bee on its nose for me. It was nice to visit with her, and Joshua fell asleep on her lap. She was telling us of things she has been going through and read two passages in Malachi to us that I've been thinking about ever since. I've always read the one, but I had never really thought about the other in the context she said. It was quite interesting!

Last night I read in the baby book that you should talk WITH your baby instead of AT your baby, giving him time to respond if you ask a question. So, this morning I asked Joshua if he knew that it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day today. His response? He threw up his legs and arms, smiling and squeeling with delight! I guess the baby is into civil rights! Ha ha ha ha! I also told him it was Uncle Kevin's birthday, but the same reaction was not given (sorry, Kevin!). Joshua is such a good little boy! I couldn't ask for a better son!

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

Dan & I were both cracking up at that last paragraph in this post! Very funny! Hey, Joshua 'has a dream'...what can he say?

Love that you started the growth chart on the side. So cool to see how much he has grown. And the pic of him at the top of this post is just the cutest one yet!

Have a great day!!!
Julie