Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Father's Heart

Last night, Shawn got home late after youth group was over. He spent a few minutes with Joshua while I got ready for bed...they gazed into each other's eyes and both smiled away. It was so cute! I told them that it was way past baby and daddy's bedtimes, so Shawn laid Joshua (who I had just fed and gotten changed for bed) in his crib. He came back into the room where I was quite upset. I asked Shawn what was wrong, and he said that Joshua looked up at him with his pouting lip sticking out and quivering, looking so sad that his daddy would leave him alone in his crib. I smiled...Joshua sure does have his father wrapped around his finger. That pouting face is SO cute! So, Shawn and I went back into the nursery, wrapped Joshua in a nice warm blanket, prayed for him that God would protect him overnight, gave him goodnight kisses from each one of us, and went off to bed. I think Shawn's soft heart toward his son is so precious, and it reminds me of how much our Father in heaven loves us so dearly!

Joshua was up several times throughout the night. I woke up this morning feeling much like a zombie, but after my shower I headed downstairs and the snow outside looked so refreshing...I brought Joshua down to the bay window to show him another moment of God's glory. The above picture is what it looked like outside our front window. I decided that after Joshua scarfed down his breakfast, I was going to make Shawn supper since I have class tonight and won't be home to take care of him. Only, right then the phone rang. I had missed Joshua's RSV vaccine appointment! I blame it on no sleep, but I truly felt like an idiot. I rushed right over there since they said that was okay. He now weighs a whopping 14 lbs even! He has been such a good little boy all day...all except throwing up on himself and me after I had gotten ready for school and put a new outfit on him. Ugh! He can't help it, though, I know.

Here is a picture of him napping this afternoon. During that time, I got back to making Shawn's dinner...shake 'n bake chicken (yes, I kept saying that commercial phrase to Joshua this afternoon - poor little guy!), chicken-flavored Lipton noodles, and corn. I figured Shawn likes all of those things. There's also leftover pork & potatoes for him to eat if he doesn't care for it, so I think he should be set with watching the baby while I'm at class and hopefully church afterward.

Last night Grandma came over and kept me and Joshua company for a little while during the time Shawn was at church. It's always nice to see her. Right now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with work projects, school, and caring for my little boy! But, I'm grateful for the opportunity to make money and stay home, so I'm trying to take everything one step at a time. I think a little sleep will do a world of good for my perspective.

Two more notes: 1) Joshua is doing quite well at sucking his thumb these days. He loves it! 2) Shawn downloaded the new Chris Tomlin song "Made to Worship" that says "You and I were made to worship, you and I were called to love, you and I are forgiven and free. You and I embrace surrender, you and I choose to believe, you and I will see...we were meant to be." He's been listening to it quite a bit, and it warms my heart to think that he cares for me so much and cares for our son. I couldn't ask for a better husband or daddy! I'm glad Joshua looks like him...I've helped create a "mini" version of my best friend. :) :) :)

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

It was so great to talk to you! And I'm thinking about having a slumber party...maybe inviting some large men to come over too...how 'bout it?! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I believe Joshua has your eyes. He looks so much like Shaun, but I was just really looking at his pictures (and smiling at how adorable he is) and I totally saw you in his face. It's the eyes. And you have BEAUTIFUL eyes, so that kid is going to be popular with the ladies...

Love ya! Have fun at the worship conference!
Julie