Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Busy Week

I started classes this past Thursday and am busily preparing for them while continuing to watch Joshua at home during the day. I'm also taking more writing jobs, for which I am grateful. This makes for a very busy schedule because I want Joshua and Shawn to know that they are my first priority.

On Friday morning, I took Joshua for his 4-month well-baby check-up. The doctor said that he should be swinging at things more than he is and started to grasp things to put in his mouth. He just started playing more with the items on his mobile, and every once in awhile if I dangle something in front of him, he will try to swing at it. However, he just doesn't seem really interested in that yet. Shawn's mom said that he wasn't really motivated by toys either when he was little. The doctor did say that Joshua seems quite intelligent with his early "talking" and laughing and blowing bubbles. She noted that kids who talk later usually struggle in school but kids who are slow mobility-wise usually end up just fine. So, Joshua got a great report overall! We're trying to give him more belly time so that he gets stronger, but he gets so frustrated and starts to cry fiercely. The doctor said that Joshua's gas is not related to his digestive system or the Neosure (which he will continue to consume until he's 9 months old). She thinks that when he struggles to catch his breath (which happens pretty often throughout the day, especially if he gets upset at all), that he puts air into his belly since he doesn't have the reserve that normal kids would have. That air escapes through him tooting. So, even though it makes him terribly uncomfortable and more upset, there's really nothing we can do at this point.

The baby has been a little fussier than normal the past few days, but "momma said there'd be days like this..." He is such a cute little boy! This week is the worship conference at my church. I would really like to be able to go, but I don't think it's wise to take Joshua out since the doctor strongly stressed this was not a good idea until April at least. So, I keep praying that I'll be able to find a way to get there for at least some of it. When Shawn doesn't have to run the A/V equipment, I'll be there!

No comments: