Friday, June 21, 2013

While Daddy's Away, The Kids Will Play!

Shawn left for a business trip the week of June 18. (He was supposed to leave the day before but was able to leave early Tuesday AM so that I could go to dinner with my family). And while I used to positively dread him being away, now that the kids are older, it doesn't feel so bad, even though I miss him.

To make sure the boys weren't missing him like crazy, too, I tried to think of different fun activities to do that week. Here are some pictures of Caleb & I baking pumpkin spice muffins (which Ryan especially LOVES!).
The boys also had swim lessons each morning. If I'm remembering correctly, we went to Mamaw's pool to swim after swim lessons so Ryan could get a turn in the "bath" as he calls it. He loves to "swim like a fish" and hangs onto Mamaw and kicks and splashes all around. Caleb went under and started to flail, but Mom was close enough to grab him. Joshua is doing great putting his face in the water and trying to swim!

On Tuesday night, we went to Universal since I had to ambassador the RPM class. I also stayed for bodyflow thereafter (which is somewhat like yoga) while the kids played. We had played outside in between and done some other activities, and by the time we got home that night, the kids went right to sleep. Caleb usually begs to snuggle, and I had thought about letting him sleep with me in my bed since Shawn was gone. But, he didn't even ask that night because he was SO tired. Shawn called at 11 pm after his meetings to say goodnight to me, and I was also out. It had been a long, fun day!
The picture below is my favorite one of him from baking. :) :) :)
On Wednesday morning, we went to Universal first so I could do BodyATTACK before taking the boys to swim lessons. Thereafter, I let them watch a movie while I mowed our very overgrown lawn. While Shawn had desired to mow the previous weekend, we either had plans or it was raining.

At 1 pm, we went to "story time" at the library. One way I can tell Ryan is getting older is that he LOVED the story time. He sat upon the "sit upon," he listened to the story, he participated in shouting out the different colors of the cat, he danced when it was time for the songs, and I could tell he was having fun with it all. He has gotten so big!
The theme of the story time that day was "ANTS" and the books were about ants, and the craft afterwards (which we rarely stay for but the kids really wanted to do that day) was the above spoons with black pipe cleaners to make their own ants.
After story time, the old two boys went to Stoner Park to have a "backyard Bible study" with Aunt Becky and their cousins while Ryan went home to nap. The kids made little posters of themselves and they each went around saying what they liked about the other person. I dug them out old Bibles to take along, which they treasured. In fact, later that night, Caleb brought me his Bible to read to him before bed. We just happened to open to Psalm 34, which says:


I will extol the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Whoever of you loves life
    and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
    seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
    to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
    but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.

21 Evil will slay the wicked;
    the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord will rescue his servants;
    no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.
I had thrown a cheesy chicken & mushroom casserole in the oven before going to pick up the boys after the Bible study, and Aunt Becky came back to our house afterward to watch the boys while I went to get my hair done. Joshua said that the casserole was delicious - the best thing he'd ever eaten! I thought it was sweet (especially since I forgot that we didn't have any french fried onions to put on top - like the kind you put in green bean casserole). I had made green beans to go with it, and set the table with bread & butter and applesauce before I left.
When I got home, I discovered Aunt Becky had pulled a muscle in her driving leg while she was playing with the boys, was in severe pain and had called Uncle Tim to come help her get home. He arrived shortly after I did. I followed them back to their house (with the boys in my minivan) and then drove him back here to pick up her car. He helped load the nasty grass-filled cans into my car to take to the dump. I stopped for ice cream for the boys to enjoy that night - each one getting their own cone (which Ryan loved!).
Since they were all a sweaty mess by the end of the night, I gave them a bath. Aunt Jen had gotten Ryan bath tub paints that are like body wash for his birthday, and I opened them and let the boys try them out. There was red, yellow and blue, but they mostly opted for the blue. Rub-a-dub-dub, I had three little men in a tub!
The next day was Thursday. We went to swim lessons and I had to pull them out early because I needed to ambassador yoga that day as a favor to a sweet gal who needed the morning off. After Universal, I had a doctor's appointment, so our babysitter came to stay with the boys while I was gone since Aunt Becky was hurt and Mamaw had plans. I was only gone for about an hour, so when I got back, I asked her to stay while I took a run in the glorious outdoors. I love to be outside and hadn't had the opportunity since Shawn had been gone. Later that evening, I took the boys to the playground behind our house.

We left when Ryan fell trying to get his 'basket-a-ball' (as he calls it) and got a really bloody nose and cheek - poor guy!

We ended our night with a family movie. The boys slept well once again, and Shawn got home extremely late after everyone had been in bed. We had had a fun week, but we were really glad Daddy was home!

No comments: