Friday, June 14, 2013

Game Day

On Monday, June 9, Mamaw came to our house to watch Caleb & Ryan while I went into Joshua's classroom for his postponed 'Game Day.' Unfortunately, it still rained on Monday, so all the games were held indoors. The kids still had a blast, though! They started their day by reading to a neighbor, so here are Joshua and Nathan reading together.
Next, the class traveled to the lobby in between the gymnasium and the auditorium.
Their first game was to get a hulahoop over their head and around their body onto the next person's without letting go of their hands. They were able to do it in under a minute at the end!
After the hulahoops, it was parachute time! They bounced balls on the parachute like 'popcorn' and went under if they were wearing specific colors and sat underneath and said their name, etc. It was cute! I used to love parachute time when I was little. :)
Next we went to the music room where the kids did relay races. The first one was taking a scoop filled with dried beans and filling a bucket on the other side. If any beans spilled out, the child had to pick them up and it took extra time. So there was a bit of a learning curve. Some kids overflowed their scoop but spent lots of time picking up beans while other children were extremely cautious. Joshua's team was more careful than others and won this race. They were thrilled!
Next they each took turns dressing in a grass skirt, lei and sunglasses; running around the cone; running back and undressing for the next person in line to go.
Finally, they had balloon races. In this one, the children each had to keep only one hand on the balloon and take them around the cone.
Then each person had to take just their head, etc.
The last one was taking the balloon between their legs.
Thereafter, the children moved on to the next station which was in the art room, I think. Here, they played duck-duck-goose. I was glad to see that Joshua wasn't one of the last kids picked but rather toward the beginning.
The last events of the day were outside for water balloon tossing underneath the covered overhang and then Popsicles. It was a shame it was raining, but the kids still had fun!
I took Joshua home with me when I left. I don't remember if I wrote this before or not, but the previous time I had helped in Joshua's classroom, I came home to beautiful flowers in a row on the side of our house that Mamaw and Caleb & Ryan had planted together. They had fun! It was nice to be able to go see Joshua and have the boys stay with Mamaw. I'm glad she's able to come watch them on occasion.

Thursday was Joshua's last day of kindergarten. I got a little teary when I picked him up that morning, but he reminded me once again that we have all summer together before he's in first grade and gone all day long. The week before he had gone to the cafeteria for lunch to experience what it will be like to go through the lunch line, etc. He is growing up so fast!

We got his report card on the last day. He finished the year "ADVANCED" in all areas that you could receive an "A" and "PROFICIENT" in all areas that were just either proficient or needs improvement. He is definitely ready for first grade. I asked him to finish the math calendar for June and read me all the first grade site words before getting to play electronics the other day, and he did all the activities quickly and easily when he was motivated. I was surprised at how easily he knew all the words. He had a great year in kindergarten. I dread him being gone all day next year, but I'll just use that as motivation to enjoy our summer time together!

No comments: