Sunday, June 23, 2013

CHOC Walk/Run for Homelessness

On Saturday, June 22, I ran my first ever 5K race. The night before I went to pick up the t-shirt and race packet, and I saw just how many people had registered (over 400?) and it made me nervous. I also had incorrectly assumed that Shawn and the boys would come along with me and Shawn said he was not planning on having the boys go play at the playground while I was running, which made me all the more nervous. I hate doing things by myself. The whole night before, I couldn't sleep. Would I find parking? Would I be able to keep up? Would I know where to go since the race route was very vague in the directions given on the brochure. I tossed and turned until Joshua came in at 4 am having had a bad dream. At that point, I told myself I could just skip it. The $20 I paid was really a donation to the Ministry, I told myself, and it didn't matter one iota if I went or not. That helped me sleep for the next hour or two.
But, when I woke up with my alarm, Shawn said I should just go and do it. I've always wondered what races were like and this was the perfect opportunity to do one. I usually just run for enjoyment, but this race was close to our house at Overlook Park, it was for an organization who I do some consulting work for, and  it was relatively inexpensive. I agreed that I would probably regret it if I didn't just go.

In reading my Bible that morning, I immediately saw this verse before even starting to read. "The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to tread on the heights" Habakkuk 3:19. It was a sign and reminder to me that God was with me each step of the way. Why do I fear being alone when my Creator is right next to me? He is my strength! He makes my feet able to run! I felt much calmer and ready to go.

We pinned my number on my shirt and I made myself a vanilla protein shake with banana and was out the door (although never again will I drink anything with dairy in it before racing!). I got there and immediately found parking (praise God!). I took Shawn's new car and was able to tuck just the key door opener thing in the zipper part of my capris, leaving my hands completely free. As I walked up, I ran into my friend Sarah (pictured above in the hat). She was Joshua's soccer coach, and her son Luke also played t-ball this spring. We've gotten to know each other through the kids, and she's super sweet. Sarah was standing with her friend Angie (who I don't know, but seems nice) and Don, who used to be in a life group with us. Don was always a super nice guy, and it was comforting to be able to chat with people right up until the race began.
They called everyone to line up, and I remembered reading that you shouldn't stand too close to the front if you're not super speedy. So, I hung more toward the back, but it did take some time off as you had to wait for everyone to get moving before you could start passing. From there, everyone went at different speeds and I was no longer 'with' people. That's much more what I'm used to - running just for the joy of being outside and having legs that move. I also had read not to shoot too fast out of the gate because you'll quickly tire and may not have the stamina to finish the race. So, I paced myself. At the mile marker, there was someone calling out the split time for each person. I was at just over 8 and a half minutes, which is better than I had thought. My goal, as I had shared with Don, was simply to finish in under 30 minutes. Since a 5K is roughly 3.1 miles, I wanted to make sure I was under a 10 minute mile.

After the mile marker, I began to steadily pass people. Many folks who had shot out of the gate were starting to walk or jog slower. I kept telling myself just to pass the next person. When I got to the halfway point, they offered water. I shouldn't have taken it. I didn't want it, and I actually had to run back to the trash can (whereas most people just threw their cups on the ground; I couldn't bring myself to litter). That also took some time off, but I tried to make it up by accelerating more, knowing that the first half was already behind me. I passed some folks I knew, who I said hello to along the way.

At the end, I tried to go a little faster when I knew that we were close. Had I realized how close we were, I probably could have sprinted more to the end. But, I was starting to feel that shake in my belly and wishing I hadn't bothered to eat at all before the race (normally I don't eat first thing in the morning before running, so why did I think I needed it this day?). I also slowed right before the finish line to look down and see what the clock said. So, my official finish time was 24:49.63. That was GREAT compared to my goal of finishing in less than 30 minutes. I may have been able to do slightly faster, but I was thrilled with my first race attempt.

Honestly, it might be my only race attempt. I run simply because I enjoy it and the exercise. But I was curious to see how I might do in a race - not on a treadmill and actually being timed. It was fun! After I finished, I went back to my car to grab my camera and got the above pictures. I had run into Maria and Carissa, both of whom I knew from Water Street Ministries. Maria is my contact there who I do some work for, and Carissa used to work there with volunteers. Carissa is also Shawn's (2nd?ish?) cousin, who I see at family reunions, and she is also super sweet.

Shawn had tried to come see me after all with the boys, but my cell phone wasn't working so I didn't get to catch up with them. He also didn't realize that I was done racing long before he ever got there. But, it was nice that he tried. I was glad I didn't back out at the last minute. I learned some things about myself along the way, and I also was reminded just how much God cares for us in even the little things. He provided me with that passage just to calm my nerves before something so insignificant as a race. It was a nice reminder of His ever-present love for us. I finished 88th out of all those runners - far better than I expected. Thank You, Lord!
 The following day, I went to an event at the Vineyard at Grandview (which Shawn's Mom's Cousin owns and operates) with some other Moms who run in Lancaster. It was nice to meet some other ladies who enjoy the sport. I went with my friend Laura, who I've gotten to know through Universal. We were to take an appetizer to share or buy a bottle of wine to share. I wish I liked wine, but I really don't - or I should say that it doesn't like me and typically triggers instant migraines when I've tried it. Anyway, I took some shrimp along and got to know some other women in the community who also run. We didn't stay too long but still enjoyed our time. When I got home, I took the boys to Universal and enjoyed a BodyFlow class while Shawn worked on yardwork. That pretty much ended our weekend!

No comments: