Friday, January 18, 2013

Volcanoes Erupt!

On Monday when Caleb was home with me, I decided to try the volcano experiment again that we had done last year. I chose the "pumpkin spice" play doh that we had made together back in October and I had kept in an air tight container. It still smelled nice, and they looked a little more volcano-esque! I also had three dixie cups this time, and I still used three bowls. He helped me get out the supplies and was SUPER excited! We made the volcanoes while Joshua was in school because the Bean didn't want to help and they take time to dry.
That night after dinner, we started the eruption experiment. First, we took 3 TBSP of baking soda and put them in the dixie cup.
Next, we poured 1/3 cup vinegar into my measuring cup with a pour spout along with a couple drops of Dawn dish detergent.

Then we added food coloring to the vinegar - the boys each got to pick their own color.
The first night, Caleb picked green. The second day, he picked blue!

I let them pour their colored vinegar into the baking soda inside the volcano and watch the overflow!
They LOVE the lava spewing out! And they love the bubbles that came with the detergent!
Fun times in the Good home!
Joshua waited for Caleb's turn to be done and then he went. He picked green the second day and red the first day.
The red overflowed onto our table cloth because his volcano must have been leaned just a touch to the one side. He also just dumps verses watching and waiting and slowly adding more. But, it was still fun and not terrible to clean up on this nasty plastic table cloth I only break out for craft projects!
We let Ryan look at one. He was excited for the empty volcano! But, once I poured the orange liquid and it started erupting, he cried and cried. Not so exciting for him even though his brothers were in awe!

After the eruptions were complete, I dumped the excess liquid and dug out the excess baking soda and put the volcanoes next to the sink to erupt again and again for a few days until they tire of them. Then they will go in the trash. But for now, they've provided lots of entertainment for these boys! :)

No comments: