Friday, January 18, 2013

Still Trusting...

The other day I decided to skip my morning body flow class because I felt sore from the workout the evening before. So, I got up later than usual and was still reading my Bible as the kids were getting dressed. After reading in my natural progression, I called the boys to come in to me where I was sitting in the office to read Psalm 91, what I had just digested. Here it is for you to read, too:

Psalm 91

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”

Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you make the Most High your dwelling—
    even the Lord, who is my refuge—

10 then no harm will befall you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”

I'll admit that with the recent tragedies, I've had questions for God. I confess that I don't understand. I believe God to be sovereign, all-powerful and all-knowing. Why would He allow a gunman to go into a school and kill children? Why would he allow our neighbor to have such a terrible accident that he would pass at only 9 years old? I've trusted that He will keep my kids safe, and yet when I realize that sometimes children do die, it makes me weep and almost feel...scared? I keep praying for our neighbors and I keep wondering how they even make it through the day. How can this awful tragedy be part of God's greater plan?

I believe that we were all created to praise God. I believe that we are to live our lives for His glory. Could even death be for the glory of the Lord? Only He knows what heaven truly looks like and what joy lies beyond the horizons that we can see. Was this somehow for these children's best interests? I honestly and truly don't know. 

But, what I do know is that God's Word is truth. I believe it to be completely true and God-breathed. So, when I read Psalm 91 on Thursday morning, a peace washed over me and I had to share it with the boys. Read it again.

I told the boys that the Bible says that sometimes we entertain angels unaware that that's what they are - they may look like normal people to us, but they are really angels. There are even stories in the Bible like that. And the angels aren't to be worshiped, only God is. But, they are helpers. God promises never to leave us or forsake us. If we LOVE God and ACKNOWLEDGE Him (v14), God will protect us and save us. No harm will come to us and angles will guard our ways. I told the boys to look for the angels if there is a 'scary' situation and I'm not there. God will send His helpers. And when they pray, God will open their eyes as to who are the good helpers who they can trust.

I don't understand it all. I don't know how a family who also went to church can be so devastated by tragedy. I just keep praying for them. And I keep praying for my boys and their safety - will you pray for them as well?

Dear Heavenly Father, we thank You for Your Word. We thank You for Your promises. We believe each one to be true because You are faithful! God, please send Your angels to guard our ways and the ways of our children. Let our foot not slip, may disaster not strike. May we live a long life that glorifies and honors You. And will You keep our neighbors in the shadow of Your wings. Hold them, help them, be near them... only You know what they need. Surround them with Your love and guide them with Your peace. Help us understand Your greater plan and picture. We still trust You. In Jesus' Name, AMEN!

I encourage you to read Psalm 91 again. I'm picturing us all being covered with feathers. What a great way to remember that we are protected by God's wings. Let's make the Lord our dwelling and refuge so that no harm will come our way. And if we experience times that are "not so nice," may we continue to trust in God's faithfulness and that it will ALL be worth it in the end!

No comments: