Friday, October 12, 2012

The DC Museums

Sunday, we debated what to do. It was raining and chilly. We decided after breakfast to check out of our hotel room and drive by Fedex Field (where the Redskins would play that afternoon) and we hit a Starbucks near us, using a gift card we had to indulge in some caffeine (much needed after I hadn't slept the night before!). Unfortunately, as I was plugging the address of the museum into our GPS, I spilled some of it all over my shirt. So much for packing light! I wore the wet shirt the rest of the day. :( :( :( At least my coat was covering it so you couldn't tell how clumsy I am! When we arrived at our destination, we couldn't find parking anywhere. We circled the block several times, and I was ready to give up. But my sweet husband doesn't get rattled easily and finally he found some free parking at a great location. Woohoo!!! God is good!
It was sprinkling off and on, and not really pouring so we decided to see as many of the attractions as we could before it was time to head out. The first one we walked through was the outdoor sculpture museum. I loved this very unique tree, and so did Joshua!
I also thought this house was cool. It was two dimensional, but angled in such a way that it looked 3-D from all sides. Very unique! We walked through the butterfly garden outside, but no butterflies on this wet day!
We did, however, catch some squirrels gathering nuts for the winter. :)
Caleb loves to have his picture taken. He also loves to take pictures (but not this time!). I had ordered this rain coat off Ebay, and I'm glad I did since he needed it!
Our first 'official' stop was the Museum of Natural History, where we went through the dinosaur exhibit. I remembered that my camera doesn't take great pictures in this lighting, so I skipped taking a lot and just enjoyed looking at them with the kids. We also stopped for a potty break, and I tried to clean my shirt a bit.
The kids loved the dinosaurs. We walked upstairs to the butterfly exhibit, but the line was wrapped way around to go into the actual butterfly house, so we decided to skip it. We did go into a really cool exhibit on photographs taken of animals. I snapped a couple pictures of some of our favorites. The boys LOVED looking at all of them!
There was some "huge" snake exhibit in the back that we went to see.
Ryan was back with us when I snapped this picture of the boys.
All the pictures were really cool! We saw some of the aquarium and other parts of that exhibit, and then we moved on. I tried to go in a museum that was specifically designed for children, but here there weren't any "shows" that weekend. Whoops! It was a dud, but we took a brochure and will check it out again sometime when they have something going on.
We ended our time at the Air & Space Museum again. We didn't do as many of the hands-on things, though, because Ryan was exhausted at this point. It was also past lunch time, and we were all pretty beat. So, we decided to leave wanting more. Next time! It was a fun weekend away!

No comments: