Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Books, Apples, Sunshine & Fall Fun!


Friday, October 5, was a fun day. After walking Joshua to school, I took the two younger boys to Staples (where Caleb was SO proud of himself for how well behaved he was!) for a quick stop to pick up printed pictures and then we proceeded on to the library. We struck GOLD there! I was hoping to find a couple books on the fall season, and we came home with many more.
First, we found not one, not two but three new "Froggy" books. We were thrilled! Then, I happened to stumble across the book "Bats at the Library." The writers of "Bats at the Beach" wrote another book after their first one was such a success, and out of all the many, many, many stacks and piles and shelves of books, I happened to notice it. It was meant to be. :) :) :) It happened to have a fall flair to it as well - the first page starts "Another inky evening's here - the air is cool and calm and clear. We've feasted, fluttered, swooped and soared; and yet...we're still a little bored" with the bats on branches with beautiful leaves and acorns. Two pages later says: "The sky is lively as we race; together toward our favorite place. Eager wings beat autumn air - Look, that's it. We're almost there!" The librarian left a window open and the bats swoop in to play and read and make believe - so fun!

Last week at school, Joshua told me his art project was based on the book, "If You Give a Pig a Pancake." So, when I saw that series and discovered "If You Give a Pig a Party," I decided to check it out as well.
Then I asked the librarian who we enjoy if she could recommend any books on fall or the autumn season or even apples, etc. She gave us two on apples - "Down the Road" and "Ten Apples on Top" - and three on the season, two being about seasons in general ("All Around the Seasons" and "Tell Me a Season") and one being specifically about Autumn called "Lionel in the Fall." We had ten books that we were super excited to go home and read!
And, while we were there, I also put our name on the list to reserve two of the free family passes to local museums, one for the Lancaster Science Factory and one to the North Museum again. So, I don't have any idea how long we'll have to wait, but someday I'll get a call that our passes are available and waiting for us at the library, and we'll have fun!
When we came home, I put Ryan down for his nape and Caleb & I read the books on the apples (after we called Daddy to tell him just how well behaved Caleb was all morning - he was quite the helper!). Then, I picked up Joshua from school and since the weather was absolutely beautiful (near 80 degrees in the fall!), I decided to take a spontaneous trip up to Masonic Villages at Elizabethtown to go apple picking.
I printed directions and saw on the website that they give "first time pickers" instructions and "special attention." Well, there was no real instructions or attention given to us. A woman threw a box our way and told us to go pick whatever we wanted and come back to get them weighed and pay. She was less than helpful. So, I had no idea which apples were good for what, but we found some trees and put some apples in our box. If I had known more, I probably would have picked more, but we can always go back another time.














These trees are specially stunted short trees so that children can pick from them - neat-o! The boys would examine the apples and then carefully place them in our box.

Next time, I won't take Ryan or at least I won't take the stroller. Even with it being the heavy-duty stroller, I struggled to push him on the uneven, hilly ground. I literally ended up almost carrying the heavy stroller with him and the apples in it. But, each thing we do gives us the experience to make better choices the next time.

We went back into the farm market to pay, and the apples were only .55/lb. The boys also asked for a cookie, so our price for the outing became a little higher. But, overall, I spent less than $10 and we experienced a new family event, enjoyed the beautiful sunshine and fresh air, and we came home with a box of apples that we've been enjoying ever since.
In fact, as soon as we got home, both boys asked to eat an apple. I washed them and handed them each one. Caleb dove right into his, but Joshua - after several sweet attempts - asked me how he should eat this apple I had handed him without even thinking. I giggled and asked him if I could core and slice it for him, and he responded "yes, please."
Since then, I've printed a recipe for apple dumplings (which had far too many steps for me to even attempt it), received a recipe for "baked oatmeal" with apples that was wonderful, and made a caramel apple dip with cream cheese that was DELICIOUS! But, for the most part, we've been eating the apples by themselves - YUM!
That evening, Shawn went with his brother to watch the Braves play in the play-offs, so I took the boys to Universal. They made these apple tree paintings there in one of the classes that week. They typically have fun while I work out.
When we got home, we read more of the books on the seasons, etc. They were great! It had been a very busy and wonderfully beautiful day (other than Shawn's team losing).

No comments: