Friday, October 19, 2012

Happy 73-month birthday, Joshua!

Joshua turned 73-months old on Thursday, October 18. That afternoon, he had soccer practice from 4-4:45, as he season was quickly coming to a close. I could see significant changes in his skills and abilities from the first time he played until now. When he stays focused on the ball, he does pretty well with his dribbling and scoring. But, like many other six-year-old kids, focus isn't always his strong suit. :) He's much more interested in talking to his teammates, etc.

Joshua is definitely turning into a social butterfly. He knows most of the names of the kids where we work out, and he'll tell them each hello upon entering. I don't think he's met a person who isn't his friend. And as kids hear their own names and feel important by being called out, they flock to play with him. He's very outgoing, and he LOVES to go there to play. They recently added a new bounce house back into the maze, and he highly enjoys it. The boys love to go burn off their energy and workout while we are - it has been a HUGE blessing!

As I've gone into the classroom to help with kindergarten, I've noticed that Joshua is above average in his learning skills. He's writing better than most boys (but his artwork isn't always terrific, I'll admit). That said, I have been surprised to hear that he doesn't always get to play with the station he wants to (they go to stations after they're done with their in-class work). The times I've been there to observe, I've noticed that while the kids are told to clean up after they are done, many don't bother and simply go to play. Joshua, on the other hand, listens and cleans up (sometimes even helping other kids) and then misses out on the station that he wants to go to (since there are only four). While I feel bad that he doesn't always get to be where he wants to be, I'm glad to see him behaving well in school and continuing to clip up on occasion. I'm glad he's making good choices.

Joshua rarely naps anymore, but he's always anxious to play when he gets home and have some "down time." He also has homework to do (very brief) almost every single night. Several times we've allowed him to play "First in Math" and he told me that he's gotten to wear the lanyard for earning the most virtual stickers at the game several times. One day he earned the most stickers at home AND the most stickers at school, so he thought it was super silly that he got to wear both lanyards. :)

Finally at age 6, Joshua is starting to eat more and more 'adult' foods. He at least tries more things, which is what we ask. The other day he requested to eat salad with us while his little brothers ate something else. He is SO skinny, but that's good for him to be tall and lean at this age. I'd much rather that than him struggling with his weight on the other end.

Joshua is doing very well with reading, and I love to listen to him read me books. How much growth I've seen in him over the past few months! He reads most beginner books easily now, and I can tell he's comprehending more of what he reads himself. He also reads signs as we're out and about, etc. and asks questions on ones he can't quite decipher.

My little man is such a great big brother! He loves to play with baby Ryan and make him laugh, and he's SO gentle with him. I love to watch the interaction. He's not as gentle with Caleb, but they have a different relationship. Joshua will say, though, how much he appreciates Caleb in his life. I love it!

Joshua also has an extremely sweet spirit. He will be one of the first ones to pray when someone gets hurt. He asked me the other day if Super Y was real. When I said no, he was sad that there wasn't really the ability to have a gold finger that turns everything into gold. I said that was just make believe, and he said "But God could do it! Nothing is impossible for Him!" True. I believe God could do it if it was in our best interest, so I told him he could pray about it. I reminded him that God loves us so much that He only does what's best for us - we may think things are better for us than they really are, but only God knows the biggest picture. He seemed to really understand. I love these moments together. How I hope my boys will grow up to seek God and know Him!

Joshua is doing well in school and sports. And while we still have some melt downs at home sometimes, he's growing into a nice young man. I love him very, very much! Happy 73-month birthday, my Bean!

No comments: