Monday, October 1, 2012

Joshua's First Martial Arts Class

On Monday, September 24, Joshua wore navy blue pants and a green and navy striped sweater to school. I remember his joy-filled face as he proudly told me that he clipped up TWICE on the good behavior chart - "PAST GOOD CHOICES!!!" He was thrilled! He said that he helped push everyone's chairs in and did something else to clean up when it was time, helping another child. Great job, little man! I'm glad you're a helper and that you're making good choices at school!
After school we went to Universal for Body Pump and I ran on the treadmill. It had been awhile since I was on the treadmill, so I wasn't sure how fast to go. I was surprised to discover that I'm running faster than I would have guessed. :) :) :) When we left there, we headed straight to Mamaw's house for her to tack in the sleeves of Joshua's new Ninja uniform. The teacher told me that they don't allow rolling of sleeves, BUT someone could sew them up underneath with a light hem, and that would be perfectly acceptable. They aren't allowed to be too long for fighting, but ordering the larger uniform would save us money in the long run because he'll need the length eventually. Thankfully, Mom knows how to sew! She also put a stitch around the iron-on patch to keep it nice and tight against the uniform (again at the teacher's suggestion). The boys also tried on their costumes that day - they look GREAT (thanks, Mamaw!).
On Tuesday, September 25, we took Joshua to his first Martial Arts class for "White to High Yellow Belts." I had to get a couple pictures of him in his uniform before we left the house. Shawn came home just in time to help tie his belt (we looked up how to do it correctly on YouTube - what did people do before technology?).
I asked Joshua to give me a kick and an "Ay-YAH!" and this is the picture I got:

Typically Miss Jody helps teach the class (the same teacher he had for "Little Ninjas") but she was tied up talking to a reporter who was writing an article about the program. So, Joshua was with a new instructor for the first time, and he was pretty nervous. Shawn & I stayed and watched the class (putting the other two boys in the kids club so we could focus on Joshua).
He was one of the smallest kids there. And SO cute, might I add! I wish the lighting was better so our photos would have turned out better.
The teacher told Joshua to bend his knees more in between moves, and Joshua didn't always get his right or left correct (even though he knows them). He also stood next to a girl that would do the wrong one, and I think he followed more than listened. I was surprised at how many adults were doing martial arts. I told Shawn I thought it would be neat to do with Joshua. :) :) :)
Since one instructor was busy, some of the "older" classmates took turns helping hold the pads for the kicks. At one point Joshua got frustrated that he couldn't turn and land a kick. Miss Jody stopped talking to the reporter long enough to encourage Joshua to keep with it. He nodded. Then when he got it the next time, he beamed! He told all the girls in line in front of him how awesome he was. We giggled. Then Shawn's co-worker came in (he's a black belt and instructor for the program that follows this one). He started holding the pads and giving some instruction, and he'd ask Shawn if he got it all on camera. We smiled as the proud parents. :) : ) :)
Most of the pictures didn't turn out well, but we loved watching Joshua in his first class. Way to go, buddy! You'll do great if you stick with it! I realize that I think I want to enroll Joshua in some of the yoga classes they have for kids there. I think some flexibility will help him with the moves. Either way, it was a great first class!

No comments: