Saturday, October 13, 2012

Happy 51-month birthday, Caleb Luke!


Caleb Luke turned 51-months old on Monday, October 8, or Columbus Day. I woke up that morning with a sore throat (probably from lack of sleep over the weekend), so we didn't do anything that required leaving the house in the cold, rainy weather. Instead, we spent a majority of the day playing and cooking (something Caleb typically likes to help with). We made chili with cornbread muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pies, caramel apple dip and more! While Caleb doesn't like chili, he loves cornbread muffins which he calls "cu-cakes" (with the 'p' being so quick it almost sounds silent). And he loves pumpkin bread but not pumpkin pies (while Joshua is the opposite).
Caleb's latest infatuation is COLORING! He is constantly begging me to color with him. "Mama, let's color together, PLEASE." And I do, for awhile. But then I get bored. And he begs for more and more and more. And he's so good to color on his own that lately I've let him. His coloring is pretty impressive, though, I think. He stays in the lines pretty well for his age. I think I started this fad when I found a coloring page of Mario & Luigi together after Joshua's birthday party. I printed it and suggested we color it together - Caleb colored Luigi and I colored Mario. We had fun saying what colors we needed, etc. And then he asked me to print another. So, we found more pages online. This has led to a LOT of printing. Daddy said our printer ink is more expensive than a coloring book, but I haven't found any Mario coloring books as I've been shopping and looking. If you discover any, please let me know! We have mounds and mounds and stacks and piles of papers everywhere! Caleb caught me throwing one away and he bawled, asking me in tears why I would throw away his coloring pages. I dug them out of the trash and put them back on the pile. I don't want to feel that bad again, so they can stack to heaven for now!
 
I love to watch him digging through the crayon bin looking for just the right color. I love to watch him color some of their faces "silly colors" and then laugh and laugh and show me. And I love to see him color quietly and have fun doing his own thing. He has been in heaven coloring - wanting to do it more than playing games lately!
 Caleb has been fighting us to nap AND to go to sleep. But, he'll fall asleep in the car when we go to go anywhere and not want to wake up (in fact, he wakes up and can't get himself unbuckled because he's so disoriented from his deep sleep). I don't know if he needs a nap anymore, but he'll stay up REALLY late because he's a night owl and loves to snuggle. When he does finally fall asleep, he's always in a random position on his bed - at times his head is down where his feet should go or he's folded in half like a sandwich. He keeps going until he just can't fight the sleep anymore. Will this, too, pass?
Caleb is SO painfully shy. The other day his teacher pulled me aside to tell me that there was an "incident" at school. She said some girls started screaming that Caleb knocked over their teddy bears, and he tried to say he was sorry and that it was an accident but he ended up hiding under the table and felt very awkward. She said it was a rough morning for him. When I asked him about it, he said he didn't want to talk about it. I talked to Shawn about it later that night, and Daddy scooped him up and told him that he never needs to hide under a table. Shawn said he knows how he feels (I can't really relate) and that he'll have to fight those feelings to go hide most of his life. The next day when he felt less pressured, Caleb told me that he thought the girls had set up the teddy bears in a "tower" to knock down - we've been playing blocks with Ryan where we build things up to knock over. He simply misread the situation and didn't expect that the girls would get upset at him. When they were angry, he was surprised and upset and felt shy and bad. Poor little guy! I felt bad for him. I was so glad he told me what was going on and how he was feeling. Hopefully he can work through his shyness and get some really good friends because I think he's a great kid!
Caleb is starting to sound out words and read with us. He's also starting to write more lowercase letters. In general, though, we've been mostly coloring lately (if you didn't catch that already! Haaa!!!). He's quickly outgrowing his size 4 pants and is wearing most of Joshua's old 5 slims with ease, needing the length but also being slimmer in the waist. While Caleb looks more solid, he is thin but very muscular. And I'm always sincerely impressed by his athletic ability. He came close to falling the other day and caught himself just in the nick of time. He'll giggle and I'll sigh with relief! Thank God he's got good reflexes to go along with those super big feet! He's been wanting wear the new 13.5 sneakers I bought, and since they seem to feel good on, I've let him. He is growing in leaps and bounds!

Shawn cut his hair the night before these pictures were taken. His school pictures are coming up, so I asked Daddy to cut both the older boys' hair. Caleb doesn't sit as still as Joshua, but he did okay and I think his haircut looks cute.

Happy 51-month birthday, buddy! I love you very much, and I'm glad you're in my life!

No comments: