Sunday, April 4, 2010

Deck-Erecting Easter Eggs

I bought a new type of egg dye kit this year, which included these fake 'cups' to put the dye in. It also said to use an old cookie sheet to place them on (now why didn't I think of that in years past?). This one is completely stained, so I didn't care what happened to it, and it made transporting the 'paint' for the eggs MUCH easier.
The next tip I read in my Family Fun Magazine, which I absolutely love (thanks, Shawn!). They said for little guys who might accidentally break the eggs, put the egg in a whisk which is easier to hold and won't let the egg fall and crack. It worked like a charm - and as a bonus, the kids' fingers weren't completely covered in dye! We had to buy an extra whisk, but it was well worth it.

Saturday just before lunch time we started the project. I also got out crayons and q-tips for 'fancy' decorating. For the most part, though, the boys just liked watching the dye turn their eggs different colors. I had hard boiled two dozen so they each had plenty to decorate.
The kit we purchased also had little stickers for faces on the eggs, but they didn't really stick on them too well when we tried later in the day after they were dry. That part was no big deal, though. :) :) :) Joshua loves stickers, so I'm sure we'll have faces in odd places on his sticker books soon enough.
The boys were wearing old t-shirts from Daddy over their regular shirts.
While Joshua was pretty neat and clean, Caleb sloshed the colored water and at one point tried to drink the cup, which we prevented immediately. He's such a sneaky guy!
Notice Joshua's dinosaur perched next to him, ready to help paint the eggs. We left the white eggs on the table and put the colored ones back in the trays to dry. We only had one egg that cracked, which I think is miraculous!
I think the boys enjoyed this special craft.
Here's inspector Caleb above... and his face when we told him he could NOT drink the water:
And some of the finished product...
Then we put them away to dry during nap time so we could allow the Easter Bunny to hide them that evening for a special egg hunt. :)

No comments: