Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy 18-month birthday, Caleb Luke!


Please tell me how it's even possible that my baby is already a year and a half old? It's almost sad how quickly time flies. My little 7 lb 12 oz newborn has somehow grown into a big boy! He's talking away and making us laugh everyday. He answers 'yes' and 'no' when you ask him specific questions just like an adult would - for example, Joshua loves to look at traffic lights and tell us what color they are. He said "can you please tell me when it turns green so we can go?" and Caleb quickly answered "no." Haaaa!!! We giggled.
 
Caleb says 'bapple' for apple, which is cute; and we've noticed he's missing the ends to some words. So, I'm trying to enunciate more when reading to him so he gets the whole word. Tonight as we were walking down the stairs, I began counting out loud as I normally do and he counted to four by himself without my help. I didn't even know he could do that yet!
 
Caleb still insists on us reading him his "Kiss Goodnight" book, and he's very 'involved' with the book. He points to the moon on every page where there is one and says "moon" and "mou" on the pages with the mouse, and then says "hmmm..." just before Mrs. Bear in the story says "hmmm." He also points to his chin on the specific page where she tucks the blanket up to Sam Bear's chin, and Caleb puts his cheek up to be kissed when it's time. I love tucking him in at night! Reading books to him is one of the few times he sits still and 'cuddles.'
 
Caleb still loves to explore. He's into everything. But, I think it helps him learn. I've also noticed that if I stick three fingers in the air and start counting backward from three, he immediately does what we're asking (whether it's come to put on his coat or sit down for his shoes or whatever). He's learned what this means already (and you certainly don't want to get to one!).
 
Caleb is a really good sleeper, but we've noticed he only wants to sleep in his crib. That makes it hard for us to go away, but really convenient for when we're home. If Joshua didn't wake up with the crack of dawn (or before) and start his morning like a rooster waking everyone, I often wonder how late Caleb would sleep in. He, of course, doesn't want to miss a beat if his brother is up and having fun. He wakes up saying "Daddeee" or "Mama" or sometimes "Mimi" (not sure how I got that nickname). He can't quite say his own name yet, but he does say "Josh" and "Ma-maw."
 
This morning we were supposed to go to Calvary's indoor gym. I had invited my friend Julie & her kiddos to join us, but then when it snowed this morning all the school's were delayed which caused the gym to be canceled. [Moms run it and when their kids aren't getting picked up by the bus until later, they can't get there and thus cancel it.] Julie called around 10 (when her kids typically wake up... wow!) and asked if we'd like to do something instead. I said sure, and we met them at the mall. Caleb & Joshua both love to run around at the indoor playground. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera. Bummer!!! We ate lunch together afterward, and the kids enjoyed seeing one another (and so did us mommas).
 
After lunch we came home for naps, only Joshua didn't sleep. He didn't seem phased by it, though, and I did make him lay down and have quiet time. Normally he takes the longest nap in our house, so it will be interesting to see if he sleeps in later tomorrow. After Caleb woke up, we went to the mall again where I had scheduled an appointment for Caleb to get his 18-month pictures. I actually liked the gal taking the pictures while she was taking them, and I thought the pictures themselves turned out okay. But, when she went to ring me up, I feel like she tried to rip me off. And, to put it bluntly, I don't like to be ripped off. So, a much too long story short since it still annoys me, I only ended up with one picture. And I'm done with JCPenney's Portrait Studio. Poor Caleb is always the one, though, who ends up with no pictures while I almost always get someone with brains when I go in with Joshua. Not sure why the bad luck. But, anyway...
 
My favorite picture of Caleb was his expression where he's sitting with Joshua. Only they wouldn't let me buy that picture without paying another sitting fee altogether since Joshua jumped into one picture. (I've been going there for years and never charged a double sitting fee for a picture with both my kids ???) So, I ended up with one picture of Caleb semi-smiling. I also loved the one that's an extreme close-up with his big blue eyes, but he has just a tinsy bit of drool on his chin from where he was just chewing on his finger, and I wasn't sure if I could live with that as my only picture. He's definitely getting a tooth, and I can't wait until it pushes through! It's been really bothering him, I can tell.
 
Earlier when we were at the mall, Caleb went right up to this big guy sitting with his wife and daughter. He just stood there and stared at them. Then he would put his head down with his 'shy' look and then smile. Finally, I tugged on his arm a little to snap him out of the stare and move him along to the playground equipment. My youngest son has no fear!!! He loves to climb and walk right up to strangers and try to run off. He's a busy little guy!
 
I must say that Caleb has added such a unique dynamic to our house. I am so blessed that he's part of our household. There is nothing better than hearing Joshua say "I love you, Caleb" and seeing Caleb run after his brother. I also think of how Caleb has blessed my life. He's so unique and so much like his Daddy. We all love him to pieces. He often brings me my Bible in the morning since he knows that's the first thing I do for myself (after brushing my teeth), and I said "it's time for prayers." He got right down on the ground on his face with me. How I hope both my boys will come to know the Lord and want to read their Bible and pray!
 
There is much more I could write about our beloved little Caleb Luke. But, it's late now that they're both in bed. And I'll admit I'm a tired momma. Happy 18-month birthday, Caleb Luke! Here's to 18 more months, years, decades (if God would grant you the opportunity!). I pray that you'll grow up healthy, happy, strong, loved, liked, intelligent, charming, kind, honest, hopeful, loving, faithful, generous, and a man of God. I also pray that you'll find a wonderful wife and have a good number of grandbabies and live close enough to your momma that I can share in their lives and yours! But, until then, I hope that we can always be close and that I can teach you everything I know (& your Daddy will do the same) and that the Lord would do the rest...
 
We love you!
 
On a side note, if you think of it, please pray for Shawn. He finally went back to the doctor's today (actually a new doctor right down the street who is associated with LGH) because his back has been really bothering him. Today he woke up and couldn't move his leg the whole way. The doctor said that it's time to get it taken care of and has ordered physical therapy and some strong medicine and back xrays and the whole nine yards. He's in a TON of pain, and I feel bad because he desperately wants to play with the boys and be helpful around the house and yet you can't really do either of those things if you can't move. Please pray that they can find the cause and fix his injuries! We appreciate any and all prayers!
 
And you can pray for Caleb & Joshua, too. It never hurts! GOD IS GOOD! ALL THE TIME!
 
 

No comments: