Monday, January 18, 2010

The Big 4-0!


That's right, folks. Joshua is now 40 (months old, that is!). Yesterday it was our turn to take in snack to preschool again, and this time we kept it simple with sliced apples and the special s'mores goldfish. Joshua was excited about his snack. Even though most schools had off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Calvary Preschool was not one of them. So, Joshua got to celebrate civil rights after he got home (haaa!!!).
 
Yesterday we returned his library book from the week before. We had been reading the Ugly Duckling. I didn't remember how scary this book was. My only memory was that the ugly duckling became a beautiful swan. But, to refresh your memory in case it's been a long time for you, too, since you've read the book, no one wants the ugly duckling so he runs away and ventures out into the wide, wide world all by himself. He finds a witch with a hen that lays golden eggs and a cat that throws stars (and the page looked scary) and then was forced out because he couldn't lay eggs, then he got frozen in a pond and a farmer rescued him only to have his children chase the poor duckling back out into the cold snow, finally the book said that the duckling couldn't move and didn't have energy to eat because of the frozen winter and almost didn't live. Then at the end, he's in a pond with swans and thinks they're going to kill him because he's ugly. The last little bit is when he realized that he, too, was a swan and was happy to be beautiful. That's it! It really wasn't even a happy ending, in my opinion. There was nothing about being loved for who you are, and he was lonely all through his life. He even wasn't proud of his looks in the end because his self-esteem was still so low at that point. UGH!

So, as I was reading the book to Joshua, I told him that his momma would always love him no matter what and he was never allowed to run away and venture out into the wide, wide world all by himself. He smiled and we kept reading. Later, when he was 're-capping' the book (I always ask him what the book was about to see if he has reading comprehension), he told me that the moral of the story was to never run away from home and leave your momma. Good boy! Haaaa!!!! I guess our talk left an impression with him. That wasn't necessarily what the book was about, but I'd rather him remember that than the tale we had read.

This week he brought home a book of Thomas ABC's, which was much better. It's good to refresh the ABC's anyway.
 
My scariest moment of the day yesterday was when Joshua asked for a tissue. I got up to get one and when I turned back around to hand it to him, his entire face was covered in blood, his shirt was covered in blood, and unfortunately so was our carpet in the office/playroom. We ran into the bathroom together and I held his nose back and started wiping his face. I've never seen a nose bleed quite this explosive. I wiped his face and it finally quit bleeding, so I changed his shirt and got him taken care of. Then I rocked him in the office chair to try and calm his nerves a bit, and he looked up at me with his big blue eyes and said "I'm sorry, momma, that my nose spit." :( :( :( Poor little guy! I told him that it was okay, he didn't have to apologize. He didn't do anything wrong. I just wanted him to feel better. The panic expression on my face must have added to his anxiety. But, he didn't have another episode thereafter, so I think we're okay. I scheduled their second round of H1N1 vaccines for next Wednesday, and I'm hoping they both stay healthy until then at least!!!!
 
Joshua finally had success today on the potty. He was very excited. He hasn't had an accident of getting wet in a long time. But, he holds the other. Hopefully we've turned a corner. Only time will tell. Oh, my stubborn and strong-willed child! How I love you! How crazy you often make me! :)
 
There are so many things I love about Joshua. Near the top of my list has to be the fact that he still loves to cuddle. Most mommas aren't so lucky, I think, to have a little boy who loves giving hugs and kisses and sitting with them. I also love how much he enjoys music, from singing to dancing to trying to play different things. I also like how he enjoys games and reading and coloring. For the most part, even though he's boisterous, he listens pretty well. I also am thankful for that. He really is a good boy. :)

I signed him up for preschool again next year since he's enjoying it so much this year. I asked him who his friends are at preschool this year. He told me Ethan (his bestest buddy who sometimes is rough with him), then Liam, which surprised me a little bit. Then he told me he likes Brooke and Lila. That was it. Lila is a cute little thing and Brooke has big blonde curls. He didn't mention any of the other little boys or girls (there are four others, two boys and two girls) so these must be his favorite friends. I love that he can communicate who he likes and what he does at school and in general what he's thinking.

Happy 40 month birthday, buddy!

No comments: