Monday, February 23, 2009

This morning's treasure

This morning I read Isaiah 59, and it talks of our sins and unrighteousness, starting out with "Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear" (v. 1-2). The passage goes on to show just how wicked we are (and I could relate!) and then goes on to show how He saved us with His own son: "He saw that there was no one, he was appalled that there was no one to intervene; so his own arm worked salvation for him, and his own righteousness sustained him. He put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance and wrapped himself in zeal as in a cloak" (v. 16-17). Then the best part is revealed, as the Word says that He will redeem those who repent of their sins. The verse that stuck out most to me was Isaiah 59:21:

"As for me, this is my covenant with them," says the Lord. "My Spirit, who is on you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouths of your children, or from the mouths of their descendants from this time on and forever," says the Lord.

Is this passage full of grace or what? We were (and are!) wicked and awful and God couldn't find someone to intervene so His own righteousness (Jesus!) saved us. Then when we repent, He gives us His Spirit and promises that His word won't depart from us or our children or their descendants. That is my prayer for my children - that they love God, know his word and live their lives to please him. So, when I think about this passage, all I can say is WOW! What an awesome God! How unworthy are we and how gracious is He? May we praise and worship Him in our lives today!

No comments: