Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Big Boy Bean

I think Joshua grew two feet over night. For the first time ever in his life, he started to really eat...and eat...and eat! Last night he kept asking for more carrots. He also loves cheese and bananas and grapes and bread and yogurt and waffles and is trying new things. He still doesn't care for meat, other than fried chicken tenders. He's also drinking water from a big boy cup! We've seen the growth spurt in that he can now turn off and on our light switches without being lifted up or getting his baseball bat. His 2T clothes are also fitting a little better (well, some of them!).

I also must say that as Joshua is getting older, he is so much easier for me to understand and handle. As he communicates more of what he's thinking, there is less frustration all around. I also see in him this beautiful sweet, kind and gentle spirit that shines forth on a daily basis. As he plays with other children, he is so gentle and loving. Today there were kids that were climbing up on the slide where he was at, but he didn't push, shove, get angry or act meanly. He simply waited his turn and at one point told a boy to "scoot" so a little girl could take her turn. I still have to remind him that he can't roll on Caleb even as Caleb rolls around, but I know he's not doing it to be hurtful and also says sorry when he occasionally bumps into us. He's also getting better and better at saying "please" and "excuse me" without prompting, and we're working on "thank you."

The last few days have been really good at our house. I've enjoyed playing with the Bean and seeing him learn. As far as colors go, he still confuses yellow with blue, but he gets purple and black and white and red and green correct most of the time when I ask him what color something is. He also counts to 20 and loves learning new words and sayings. He's a regular ol' ham! We laugh daily at his expressions. Today at the mall when he climbed up on play bed and started to jump, I said "no more monkeys jumping on the bed!" and he's been saying it all night as he tries to jump on our bed. He also told Pa-paw yesterday to "be a good boy" on the phone because he remembered that's what Pa-paw usually says next after "bye-bye." It's bizarre what the Bean remembers and repeats. Bizarre and REALLY funny. Today at nap time, he said "Love you, Momma! See you in an hour!"

I also love how I feel like we can trust Joshua. He doesn't really get into things he's not supposed to, and I know even if he leaves the room I'm in for a minute or two, he comes right back. He's much more of a "people person" than a "things person." Toys don't excite him as much as a conversation or quality time would. He LOVES when you pay attention to him, and he's pretty well behaved when you fill up his love tank in this love language of quality time.

Being a mom has been a challenge for me from day one, but I'm starting to really enjoy my role more and more each day. I think Joshua is the neatest kid I've ever known (although, I'm completely biased, of course).I love you, my Bean!

No comments: