Friday, November 1, 2013

Ending October

On Thursday, October 24, Nitrauer Elementary School held its annual costume parade through our neighborhood. I had purchased the Captain America and Iron Man costumes for the older two boys over the summer and assumed that they would want to wear them, BUT they insisted on being Mario and Luigi again. Seriously?!?! But, it really didn't matter. If that's what they wanted, that's what they wanted. Since the costumes from last year still fit, that was fine with me! I dressed Ryan as a lion and he wanted NOTHING to do with it. We didn't take any pictures since he was screaming and the other boys just wanted to keep moving.

Joshua was excited to go play with his friends, and Caleb kept up pretty well. We ate our dinner there at the concession stands (meaning we had a junk food meal of soft pretzels and baked goods to raise money for the school). When it was time to line up to actually go on the parade, Caleb disappeared. The kids had all been playing at the playground before it was time to line up and then when it was time, everyone lined up with their families by grade. But, Caleb ran off. My heart stopped. I literally couldn't see him anywhere. Our grade passed us as we double-backed to look for him. My sister and her family passed us, and she said she hadn't seen him. FINALLY we found him, but by that point first grade was long gone. I think we ended up walking with fourth graders. Ryan was done - how dare I put him in a costume? I saw lots of families we knew (both at the school and from the neighborhood). When it was over, we came home. It seriously felt like a long night, but Joshua had a blast (and that's what really matters).
The following night, Friday, October 25, we went to the annual Fall Festival at Petra Christian Fellowship. This is the church that I went to as I was growing up and through the end of high school. Many of my friends and their families still attend, along with my sister and brother-in-law, so I was looking forward to seeing some familiar faces. The kids loved the crafts and various activities, including the bounce houses and these barrel rides (which was the only time I got out my camera for some reason). We saw part of the juggling act this year, roasted marshmallows and made smores and we enjoyed eating our dinner there as a family of soup and french fries. It was a fun night and the kids had a blast!

Calvary had its annual fall festival on Saturday, October 26. I don't have a single picture of it. And if my memory serves me, I believe Shawn just took the older boys this year while I stayed home with Ryan during his nap time. I think they had a lot of fun playing the games (and praise God, they didn't win any live gold fish this year!!!).




Instead of celebrating Halloween with costumes, his teacher had a pajama and pancake party. Caleb was thrilled to be able to wear PJs to school! But, I insisted that he put clean ones on in the morning. Am I the only Mom who does that? And we don't own slippers for the kids, so he just wore his typical socks and sneakers. He told me when he got home that he didn't get to have a turn making the pancakes. I felt terrible for him. He loves to help in the kitchen and every child was supposed to take a turn, BUT Caleb is super quiet and easy to get along with, so I think his teacher just missed him. He's pretty easygoing, though, so I don't think it was a huge deal
It was a beautiful day, so we went for a walk after school. Ryan loves to go for walks in the stroller, and Caleb enjoys them, too. We play a lot of "I spy!" as we go.
I realized how silly Caleb looked out in his pajamas mid-day, but I also realized that it probably didn't matter too much. I love all the leaves on the ground. Did I ever mention that fall is by far my favorite season? I love the colors, I love the energy and freshness of school, I love the leaves and fun activities, and I love that we get to pull out our jeans and sweaters and start snuggling next to fires to keep warm, etc. But, it's not so cold yet that you can't enjoy the outdoors still. It is just wonderful!!!
I tried to get a few pictures of Caleb, but he was just being silly. Sometimes those are the fun pictures, though, right?
Caleb also got a special day on Wednesday afternoon, October 29. My sister Becky invited him to go out to Chuck E. Cheese, just the two of them. She had some leftover tokens and while Ryan napped and Joshua was at school, she and Caleb went and had a great time! I thought it was nice of her to offer to take him.
This is the tree by the school behind our house. Isn't it lovely? I love all the red and orange and yellow of this season. That tree and its beauty greet us each day as we wait for the Bean to get out of school. How we miss him during the day when he's gone. But, we're glad he loves it. :)
Shawn traveled a couple weeks in October, too. We've had to learn how to survive without Daddy. Thankfully Mom watched the boys when I had to work (thanks, Mamaw!!!) and we did just fine. I would also try to get a babysitter on occasion and go out with friends so that I had adult conversation. The boys would ask how much longer until Daddy came home, but they did okay. We don't love to be apart and we highly enjoy times that we're together, but we can make anything work for a short time. Absence does make the heart grow fonder - we are always so glad when Daddy comes back home to us!!!

No comments: