Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ryan's Big Boy Bed

The problem with not updating my blog regularly is that I sometimes forget to post "important" moments. For example, on October 5, we converted Ryan's crib into a toddler bed that he can climb in and out of. We were all nervous. I was worried that he would roam the house during the night; Shawn was concerned that he would fall (and even laid our king-size pillows next to the bed so that he would have a soft landing when he did fall out).

But, it was Joshua who was terribly scared for Ryan. He told us over and over again that he wasn't too sure about our decision to change the bed. Then he said the sweetest prayer for his baby brother, asking God to protect him and keep him safe. It literally brought tears to my eyes. I remembered Joshua falling out of his bed and busting his teeth and all the trauma he went through. The toddler bed is much lower to the ground and has a wood rail and generally speaking, it should be safer even if Ryan did fall out. But, I was so touched by Joshua's heart and concern (and my heart ached when remembering his grief). I loved his prayers.

Ryan did fall out a couple times over the next few nights. Shawn & I almost changed it back to the crib. We agonized over what was the "right" thing to do. But, eventually Ryan got the hang of staying in the space provided. And he never once roamed the house. In fact, he treated it like his crib. He would call for me when he woke up, just like he did in his crib.

We've since bought a regular single bed, but we haven't changed his room quite yet. Neither Shawn nor I are quite ready to get rid of the nursery decor. That room is the brightest, happiest room in our house, in my opinion. I love the froggies and the sunny colors. I love the yellow and white, green and blue. I love going in there and remembering putting it together when I had given birth to Joshua. I love the feeling I get when I rock a baby in there and look at the room and remember each child and lovingly caring for them. We will eventually give Ryan a big boy room, but we may wait another month or two...or more. We're in no rush to be baby-free, even though Ryan will tell us he's NOT a baby! He's TWO!

No comments: