Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy 56-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

Caleb turned 56-months old on Friday, March 8. The following Sunday I took him out for a date. He was SO excited to go to Sweet Frog, where his brother had been.
He only wanted chocolate "ice cream" though and asked for swedish fish to be his topping. That was it! We had fun chatting, though, and he does talk and open up more when his brothers aren't around to interrupt. :) After we were finished, we also went to Giant, but I don't remember what we bought now. He loves to shop with us or do anything that's one-on-one.
We registered Caleb for both preschool and kindergarten. Registration for school was this past Tuesday, and based on what Joshua's teacher said, it was safest to register Caleb for both and give ourselves time to make the decision. If we decided to not send Caleb, it wasn't a big deal. But if we registered Caleb late, we may not get into the elementary school near us. So, we decided to play it safe. Mrs. Vogt said Caleb did everything that was asked of him, but he was extremely quiet. I did tell Caleb he would have to say hello and clearly say his name when he was asked, and when we got there, the school guidance counselor came right up to him and he did both things I told him to do well. But, I know it takes effort on his part not to be shy.
They went through a check list of everything kids should know and be able to do before kindergarten. He can do all of them with ease except sit still (not exactly worded this way, but how I took it). I think I finally realized that I want to send him because he IS extraordinarily gifted and advanced for his age. Is holding him back saying that I don't realize this? But, that's really the only reason. I think that kids generally do better when they go later and are older in their class. So, can I let him wait and not feel like I'm making him average? I think so. I'm still leaning toward holding him back, even though he's wearing the clothes his brother wore earlier in the kindergarten year already. We'll see - pray that we feel confident one way or the other. At this point, he's registered for both!
I have started sitting Caleb down in the afternoons and giving him a few minutes of handwriting practice. While he can write, he doesn't always make the letters in the correct fashion. What I mean is, he doesn't start by making the circle part of the 'd' first and then the line down. He may start with the line and then make the circle up. I didn't catch it at first, but as I watch there are many letters that he starts and ends differently than how we're taught in a typical handwriting class. I don't know how important it is, but I want him to refine those skills. He's doing well with the tracing and writing, which was Joshua's homework last year.

Caleb also loves to play puzzle books and do word finds and dot-to-dots and cuts pretty well for his age and has decent drawing skills. He obviously knows shapes colors and even his address and phone number. His math skills are also extremely impressive for his age. But, can he sit still in school and not distract other children with his hands or movement? Hmmm...
Yesterday, Caleb asked if he can make his own lunch. He enjoys doing things independently. I said okay, and he made his PB&J by himself, other than needing help getting the lid off the peanut butter. He also likes to put the waffles in the toaster and pull them out and similar tasks. I'm so adverse to messes that I think I often hold the kids back from learning life skills (like pouring milk - when will I be comfortable with letting them try?!?!). Caleb also is a huge helper in setting the table. He loves when he can be our little helper.

I love to hear Caleb sing. He has lots of songs he knows the words to, and his speaking and singing voice is just the sweetest thing to listen to. :) He has such a cute little personality to go with that voice, too.

He still loves that he is Daddy's "twin" and he comes into our room promptly at 7 am everyday to snuggle before bed. He says it's "cozy." Love it! And him! Happy 56-month birthday, my little Caleb Luke!

No comments: