Monday, July 11, 2011

Caleb Luke at 3 Years

 
When I think of Caleb, I always smile. Simply put, he is a treasured part of our family. He has added so much joy to our lives! His soft sweet voice, his easy going personality, his interaction with his older brother, his gentleness... there is so much that I love about my sweet Caleb Luke!
I can't get over how grown he looks in these pictures. I still think of him as my baby. But, he reminds me that Ryan is the baby now, and he's a big boy! Yes, it's true... even though he'll always be my baby, he's growing quickly! At his doctor's appointment this morning, his stats were:
HEIGHT: 39" - 80%
WEIGHT: 34 lbs - 74%
BMI: 39th percentile (anything between 10 and 85 is good)

According to Dr. Tifft, who we saw today, Caleb should grow to be 6 ft tall and is progressing very well.
Dr. Tifft also asked questions about Caleb's cognitive abilities and seemed impressed that he knew all his letters, their sounds and is starting to put words together. He also seemed impressed that he can dress himself and can unbutton shirts and sometimes button them on his own. Over and over again, the doctor told me how unusual Caleb is developmentally for his age and how well he was doing. That's my sharp little man! He takes after his daddy. :)
I remember so much about Caleb's life... I remember being thrilled when he was a baby and I'd say "kisses, Caleb" and he'd pucker up to give me a smooch. I have always been intrigued by his growth and ability to learn. I remember his soft fuzzy hair and bright blue eyes, along with his long eye lashes. He has the sweetest little cheeks and the softest touch to his hands. These are things that I hope I'll remember forever.
Caleb has been completely potty trained for awhile, but he still wears a diaper to bed. We'll start working on overnights soon enough with him. He still asks for M&M's because he LOVES chocolate. He also loves blueberries and grapes. He devours watermelon with us as well, and he enjoys apples and other fruits, too. He'll never turn bread down, and I'd say his favorite meal in the world is peanut butter & jelly. But, he eats more of a variety of foods than his big brother is willing to try. He usually eats well at most meals.
Caleb is very patient, too. I think that this character trait helps him to learn. He doesn't get frustrated when something doesn't go his way; he tries again until he masters it. He's starting to learn how to ride his bike, but he also just likes to push it around. He buckles his own car seat and can put his own shoes on and off, but he does struggle at times with socks. They're a bit more difficult! And while he has favorites of toys, many times if Joshua picks one thing, Caleb will automatically pick the other. If I have an orange plate and a blue plate, Caleb may say "I'll take the blue" (his favorite color). Joshua will pipe in "I'll take the blue" to which Caleb will respond "I'll take the ORANGE!" I LOVE LOVE LOVE this about him because it eliminates fights. They're both happy that way.

Caleb LOVES look & find books, and he also loves to play games. He likes to keep moving, though, so after a little while he'll move onto the next activity. But, I enjoy doing these things with him. He also loves to read and be read to. He's been enjoying some of the new books he got for his birthday, including one about being a big brother. Love it!
Caleb enjoys harmony and does not like when people are upset or fighting. I can see that it really bothers him, and his little face gets so sad. If Joshua is throwing a fit and the house is in an uproar, Caleb's little heart is hurt, I can tell. It's something that I have to keep in mind when I get upset. He's very much like his daddy that way, too.
Caleb loves to sing and enjoys many songs, including "Tractor Tractor." I'd say his favorite is still the God song. When I play piano, he comes up and wants to join in, too. I'll have to think about getting them lessons. I think both would do well with them.
Oh my sweet boy, how much I love you! You have certainly grown immensely over this past year. And I look forward to many more years together. You're my bestest Caleb Luke! Happy 3rd birthday!

No comments: