Sunday, April 26, 2009

Flowers or Weeds?

Our front yard has been overtaken by dandelions. While our neighbors' yards next door and across the street are incredibly lush, green and gorgeous (as ours once was), somehow weeds of purple and yellow have managed to spring up out front. We have been hesitant to use chemicals to treat our lawn because we think that they are poisonous to children, and we want our kids to be able to play in our yard without fear. I've also learned that many folks walk on their yards and bring the chemicals inside on their shoes and then babies get it from crawling on the carpet, etc. So, we've been wary of it, and yet our yard went from gorgeous to mediocre within days.But, just when I was feeling a little grumpy about it, Joshua picked me a dandelion and with a proud look on his face, he smiled and said "here's a flower for momma!" He loves the multi-colored front lawn, and I'm wondering why we get so worked up about it. If he can see beauty in it - and I can see beauty in his loving sweet face bringing me the best flowers that he knows how - then maybe it's good enough for now! Choose to see 'flowers' rather than weeds!

No comments: