Friday, April 24, 2009

Everyday from here to there, funny things are everywhere

Yesterday I read Dr. Seuss' "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" to Joshua & Caleb. I started reading it to Caleb since Joshua wanted nothing to do with being held and read to, and Caleb is just starting to come into the stage where he likes books. But, soon Joshua couldn't help himself and came over to look at the pictures (I was sitting on the floor). Pretty soon he proclaimed, "Momma, I like this book! It's funny!" Since he liked it so much, I read it to them tonight again too before bed. Here's an exerpt:

'Who am I?
My name is Ish.
On my hand I have a dish.

I have this dish
to help me wish.

When I wish to make a wish
I wave my hand with a big swish swish.
Then I say, "I wish for fish!"
And I get fish right on my dish.

So...
if you wish to wish a wish,
you may swish for fish
with my Ish wish dish.'

If fish was something you were wishing for, last night would have been a good night to come to our house. I made flounder almondine, and it was positively delicious, if I do say so myself. Even though the boys & I have colds, mom came over with Emma and ate dinner with us. Shawn, who does not eat fish, went out with the guys from our life group and had a great time. We are so blessed to have this group of friends!

Today I made chicken-fried pork chops in the crockpot. Unfortunately, we no more than sat down to dinner and Caleb vomitted at his seat (I'm thinking all this junk from his sinus congestion finally came out). Thus, we all scrambled from our places, and I bathed the kids while Shawn cleaned up dinner (we were no longer hungry). I'm sure we'll enjoy them tomorrow or I'll have them for lunch next week. They made our entire house smell heavenly.

The past few days have been lovely, with today reaching in the 70s. We spent much of the day outside, including going for a nice long walk and getting all the toys out of the garage to play in the driveway. I can't wait until Caleb is walking, but we can't find our walker toy anymore. Ugh! I fear we'll have to buy a new one since that helped Joshua so much. While I'm a pack rat, Daddy is "toss happy" and I think our walker toys got chucked at some point when the garage was getting cleaned out. In Shawn's defense, the one was kind of bulky and the other one wasn't as sturdy as it could have been. We had borrowed a great one from one of our friends that Joshua had loved, but of course I gave that back a long time ago. So, it might be time for a Walmart trip or a yardsale run!

This weekend is supposed to be in the 80s, so we're hoping to do some yardwork. But, we'll see how we're all feeling. I have to remember that being productive can mean just spending time as a family. Right now I'm starting the book "Shepherding a Child's Heart," and so far it's very good. I know that the most important job we have right now is not our house or our jobs or our activities - it's raising two boys who will love, honor and serve our Lord!

I'll end this post with another exerpt from the book since we enjoy Dr. Seuss:

'And now
good night.
It is time to sleep.
So we will sleep
with our pet Zeep.

Today is gone. Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one.
Every day,
from here to there,
funny things are everywhere.'

No comments: